Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   chicago dilemma: arrive early on my own or wait for DH? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-dilemma-arrive-early-on-my-own-or-wait-for-dh-785601/)

lilaki May 20th, 2009 10:16 AM

chicago dilemma: arrive early on my own or wait for DH?

hi fodorites,

quick question ... what would you do in the following situation?

i'm meeting DH in chicago on wednesday, july 1. he'll be flying up from his conference in new orleans and i'll be flying in from toronto (our hometown). DH's conference doesn't end until about lunch so he'll catch the earliest flight he can and land at ORD around 5 pm. i have a variety of flights to choose from ... all at the same/similar price via air canada/united.

i can arrive early (7:47 am or 1:15 pm arrival on air canada - free checked bags! - leaning towards the 1:15 pm arrival as it means i wouldn't have to get up at an ungodly hour in toronto) <b>OR </b> i can try to time my flight so that it arrives 'close' to DH's flight (3:15 pm on united - $15 fee for checked bag). i figure since i will have checked luggage (i'll pack DH's stuff with me so he can travel light to his conference), going thru the baggage check will take some time, so it would likely be better for me to arrive before he does to minimize the amount of waiting. realistically, if i touch down at 3:15 pm (assuming everything is on time), it would likely be 4:15 pm by the time i get my bags. and if DH's flight is on time and arrives at 5 pm, it's not much of a wait.

one benefit of arriving together, we can head into the city together - either on the EL or via taxi/shuttle. but, i'm pretty sure at that time of day, we'll hit rush hour traffic. if i arrive by myself, i'm not sure that i'll want to take the EL - esp. if i've got a checked bag. i would likely take a shuttle.

we are staying at the swissotel until july 5th - we'll do the touristy things together. but if i arrive ahead of time, then i can do some shopping, pick up snacks/water/supplies, for a few hours in the afternoon.

any thoughts on either option? i've never met a fellow traveller at an airport before ... anything i need to consider re: this meeting up idea at ORD?

thanks!!!

ileen May 20th, 2009 10:29 AM

I do this sort of meeting my husband often as he travels for business frequently.
I like to arrive early, so that we dont take chances with my flight being late. I travel light, thus baggage is usually not much of a problem.
Early for me is better also so I can enjoy the wonderful shops in most large airports. Some airports even have art galleries and special exhibits and I always like to spend time.
You can get nails done, get a massage or just read a nice magazine.
Always good to meet the husband and then go to the hotel together.
For you, I would choose the 1:15 flight so you have all the advantages.
Have a great trip. Chicago is fun city!!!

yk May 20th, 2009 10:40 AM

Uh. I hate spending any time at airports. I really doubt it'll take an hour for you to get your bags at Chicago. Of course, if your flight is delayed then it's not too big of a problem in terms of waiting. But what if your husband's flight is delayed? Then you're talking about waiting and waiting and waiting... Plus, the later is the flight in the day, the higher the chance of delays, and flying up from the South could mean afternoon thunderstorms which are very common.

If I were you, I'd just take the 1:15pm Air Canada, and head into town yourself. I'm not sure why traveling solo is an issue with taking public transport, unless you have lots of luggage with you.

tchoiniere May 20th, 2009 10:49 AM

I agree with yk. Head into town yourself via the El. Taxi is ~$40 from O'Hare

sf7307 May 20th, 2009 10:49 AM

I agree with yk, for the same reasons, and also because the OP already said she'll have "real" luggage, so she's not going to be wandering around the airport shopping or getting her nails done!

Dayenu May 20th, 2009 11:04 AM

I would go to the hotel, take a shower and dolly up to meet the husband :)

lilaki May 20th, 2009 11:05 AM

hi all,

wow! that was quick.

yeah, hanging out at the airport isn't exactly my idea of a fun time. we were at ORD a few years ago on the way to and from phoenix ... nothing spectacular at all! i'd rather do my shopping downtown ...

okay - i'll grab the 1:15 pm flight and head into the city myself. the visitors office is right near the hotel so i can walk over and grab some maps/brochures to get myself oriented before DH arrives. looks like fox and obel is nearby as well.

i'm concerned that i'll have to manoeuver stairs/long walks via the El. i checked the map and it looks like i'll need to take the blue line get off at clark. can i easily catch a cab from there? or should i be getting off somewhere else? i want to minimize any public transportation transfers ...and i don't want to take a bus.

i don't think i'll have a heavy suitcase ... but i'll have enough clothes for both DH and me for four nights ... plus extra space for any shopping we do. plus, i'll have my laptop and digital SLR camera in my carryon back-pack. i'm no wimp and am a very active person in my 30's ... but i don't want to be schlepping my bags around. lucky DH ... he'll get to walk off the plane with just his carryon! :)

Dayenu May 20th, 2009 11:08 AM

Take a shuttle!

simpsonc510 May 20th, 2009 11:13 AM

People ride that blue line w/luggage everyday! Yes, Clark-Lake station is easy. There is an escalator.

The only hangup might be IF there is some construction along the blue-line route, which causes a portion of the line to be closed. In that case, you get on a bus to go between the stations where the line is closed. I've had to do this only once, and I've ridden the blue line maybe four times in the last few years from and from Ohare. Just be prepared for this possibility. But you won't be the only one w/luggage!

Enjoy your trip.

sf7307 May 20th, 2009 11:35 AM

<i>looks like fox and obel is nearby as well</i>

I know where I'd be!

lilaki May 20th, 2009 11:38 AM

hi all,

done! i'll book the flight that arrives at 1:15 pm. then i'll take the blue line to clark/lake and then catch a cab. i'll check for construction on the blue line before i leave toronto. if there's construction, then i'll grab a shuttle @ the airport.

thanks for the advice!!!

bethke14 May 20th, 2009 11:39 AM

As others have said, many people take luggage on the blue line. There are plenty of cabs in downtown Chicago- you shouldn't have a problem grabbing one when you get off the el.

Enjoy your trip!