Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago couple -Job Relocation to Pontiac-Thoughts on Ann Arbor commute??

Old May 27th, 2002, 04:33 PM
LIsa

Dear Michigan Informants,

My husband took a job in Pontiac. We will be relocating from Chicago & are seeking the right suburb for us. We are 35-45 years old, professionals, no kids. We want to live in a neighborhood where we can walk/bike to alot of shopping/dining/nightlife/culture, as we did in Lincoln Park (neighborhood of Chicago). I've read some postings suggesting Ann Arbor. Please tell me your thoughts & the reality of commuting to Pontiac from Ann Arbor. Any other suggestions? Help!

Lisa

Old May 27th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Jen

Lisa,
I live in Ann Arbor, Pontiac is well over an hour commute and it's no picnic driving there and back. Ann Arbor is a great place to live and will have all you're looking for and more, but unfortunately, is a hassle if you work in Pontiac.
The Dearborn, Birmingham, Farmington Hills areas will cut about 30 minutes off the trip at least. I think they'll be more your "style" coming from the Chicago area. They are all very nice areas with a lot to offer as well.
People who live up in those areas will give you more to go on in terms of neighborhood specifics. Good luck.

Jen

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Julie

Ann Arbor is a great place to live, but
the commute might get old quick...
especially in the winter...
If you don't mind 2 hours on the road
everyday, then Ann Arbor is the place...
if you don't want the drive, consider
West Bloomfield or the Birmingham areas...they're the best areas to
live in the Detoit area..good luck
and welcome to Michigan!!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Chad

Another vote for Birmingham and one against Bloomfield (West or Hills) the former allows for walking/bikng to shops movies etc. the latter does not. That said for a Lincoln Park IL enviroment I suggest Ferndale or Royal Oak both very close to Pontiac or for something more wasp-y try the village of Grosse Pointe on the lake. Best of luck with your move and job.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:00 AM
bev

I would recommend Royal Oak, Berkley, Huntington Words or Birmingham depending on your budget. Pontiac is a terrible commute from Ann Arbor - don't do it! You will hate it in the winter and other times of year won't be great either. If money is no object, go with Birmingham.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Cathy

Is the commute really all that bad? M-23 to I96 or M-14 to I 275 to 696? At least that's what I remember from when I lived there. I know the area has changed a lot in the last 10 years (the farms surrounding my parent's home in Livonia are now high-priced subdivisions), but is that commute really that terrible? More traffic these days?

A2 is such a terrific place to live -- I think it is worth the commute (but then again, I had a 1 1/2 hour commute into Boston for 10 years bc I wanted to lived in a great area, and I realize the long commute is not for everyone.) Lots of hiking and biking in A2 -- I have a lot of fond memories of the A2 Bike Touring Society (think that was the name) and the Ride to Hell. That was one hell of a ride! Great restaurants, etc. Lots of fun, Victorian houses to live in.

I guess I would go for Ann Arbor. If you go there, you will love it and will want to stay. In 5 years or so, when the commute wears him down, he can always look for another job closer to home!!!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Lisa

Thank you so much to everyone of you who took the time to reply with your candid opinions! I have been reading up as well, and feel that your opinions fall right in line with the direction I am leaning. I think we will first look in Birmingham and Royal Oak, maybe West Bloomfield. I will be going for my first visit to the area the weekend of June 21st to check the neighborhoods out. With your experienced advice, we have chosen to look at Ann Arbor as a last resort. It sounds SO nice, but also a long commute. THANK YOU!

Lisa

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Cali

I wouldn't even consider living in Ann Arbor for a job in Pontiac. It would be a nightmare. We live in CA and go back to MI very often and driving there can be bad - especially during rush hours. I would stick with Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills or West Bloomfield or Rochester Hills Area. These are reasonable drives. Good Luck!!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Guido

I am looking for a nice Italian neighborhood in the Detroit area. I am Italian, I love Italian food and Italian people. I buy Italian furniture and clothes, and I drive an Italian car. I like to rip-off people like Mara because its so easy and so much fun and its so deserved. Ciao!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:47 PM
new

Since some people seem to be up in arms about relocation questions I have created an ezboard Online Community for relocation issues. It's called Relocation Central.

Here is a link to the ezboard:

http://pub5.ezboard.com/brelocationcentral

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:46 PM
GBH

I live in the Cass Lake area of Northern West Bloomfield. Not all areas of WB have concentrations of any ethnic or religious minorities. There are many very nice neighborhoods just South of Pontiac. Take a drive South on Orchard Lake Road and check the excellent neighborhoods around Pine Lake, Cass Lake, Orchard Lake, Walnut Lake. Beautiful lakes and lots of trees, shops, bike trails, etc.