Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago Botanic Gardens (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-botanic-gardens-633550/)

bayridge Jul 24th, 2006 10:42 AM

Chicago Botanic Gardens

Are these Gardens worth visiting? Never see any discussion of them when Chicago sites are discussed. We will be staying in the suburbs only 2 miles away.

swalter518 Jul 24th, 2006 10:54 AM

I was there for their annual garden show and frankly, I was unimpressed but it was also early in the "garden season" I would think that there are other things that you could better spend your time on unless you had time to kill or my experience was not the norm.

aliska Jul 24th, 2006 11:30 AM

Perhaps I am unduly prejudiced for the Botanic Gardens because when our children were young we lived 1 mile away and spent much time there. If you have some extra time in Chicago, it's a nice day, and are right there, I would say yes. Especially if you have children or people who like horticulture. There is a Japanese Garden, rose garden, and in late July/early August, everything will be in bloom.

lizziea06 Jul 24th, 2006 12:01 PM

I LOVE the Botanic Gardens. I'm probably also biased, but I've been going there my whole life. I even have my own plum tree that my grandmother bought for me when I was a baby. A really great place to bring kids. I was there last weekend while visiting my parents in Evanston.

swalter518 Jul 24th, 2006 12:04 PM

OK, maybe I missed something but it just seems like there are way more things you can do on your visit.

jlm_mi Jul 24th, 2006 12:31 PM

swalter518 - It sounds like maybe you're just not a garden person? Sure, there are way more things one could do in Chicago. The same can be said about anything though - there's generally more than any person can accomplish during a vacation, and most won't see it all in a lifetime. So, we have to pick and choose those things that are most interesting to us, right?

I'd guess that if bayridge is a garden person she or he will really enjoy the Chicago botanic gardens, but for those who aren't so into gardens, it wouldn't be going out of the way for, or sacrificing time that might be spent elsewhere.

lizziea06 Jul 24th, 2006 12:32 PM

Unless I was really into gardening, I don't think I would make the trip if I was staying in the city. If you are right down the road, however, it is definitely a great place to go. There is a great cafe on site as well for lunch.

swalter518 Jul 24th, 2006 12:58 PM

Actually, I am a gardening/garden person which is why I was at the Garden show to begin with. I just find the Morton Arborteum more appealing to my taste in the Chicago region.

Kristi Jul 26th, 2006 08:49 AM

The reason why you don't see them suggested as a place to visit is because they are located pretty far out of the downtown area. Since you are staying near there and the gardens are free (parking charge per car but no admission), why not stop by if you are in the area anyway?

I also grew up in the area and make sure I get back at least once every summer and once in the fall. I love the Japanese garden, the rose garden and the English walled garden.