Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago beaches (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-beaches-23495/)

Gwen Mar 23rd, 1998 02:57 AM

Chicago beaches

Looking for the most private beach possible in Chicago area, especially on south side, where skimpy swimsuits won't be noticed. Any specific places that I DON'T want to be (crime rates, etc)? Any places good for nude swimming, day or night?

Arizona Mar 23rd, 1998 12:05 PM

Born and raised in Chicago. So we have street smarts. Are you asking to become a statistic? Always stick with the crowds. Never, never, never stay on any beach along Lake Michigan after dark.
On the South Side, Jackson Park would be your best bet. On the North Side, go to Wilmette. Keep your eyes open, watch your stuff, and dress (or undress) conservatively unless you want more trouble than you can handle.

Gwen Mar 24th, 1998 04:01 AM

Wow! I assume then, that there is no such thing as a relatively safe, uncrowded beach anywhere near Chicago. I don't want to become a statistic and I'm not an exhibitionist, but a nice lonely beach would be enjoyable. I'll check out Jackson beach when I get there (early June?), and any more suggestions would be most appreciated. Anything I should be looking at south of the city toward the Indiana border, or is that the worst possible place to be? Thanks again.

Hyper Mar 24th, 1998 04:34 AM

Try Oak St beach Norht of Loyola Univ. near Pratt Blvd & Morse St. One of the travel guides says its a popular skinnydipping spot after dark, and didn't mention high crime. Anybody been there?

Arizona Mar 24th, 1998 03:04 PM

On the south side, about the best place to visit would be the Museum of Science and Industry in Jackson Park. It's about 6300 south at the lakefront. The beach is nearby. Otherwise, go all the way over to Indiana Dunes -- huge, uncrowded, great sand. If you will look on your map you will see that the southern shore of Lake Michigan from Chicago into Indiana is a vast industrial complex of steel mills and oil refineries. But once at The Dunes, and all the way up the Michigan shore, it's just great. It's worth the trip.

Arizona Mar 24th, 1998 03:07 PM

Note to Hyper: Oak Street Beach is OK, often the hangout of the gay crowd. Go farther north, to the North Avenue beach. Huge, flat, uncrowded, and -- like all the others -- no place to be after dark.
I kid you not.

Gwen Mar 25th, 1998 03:09 AM

Thank you very much. Guess I have to buy a map now. Any other ideas are still welcome.

Anna M Mar 25th, 1998 07:16 AM

I second the recommendation to stay off all Chicago beaches after dark.

Gwen Mar 26th, 1998 02:13 AM

Is that because I'm a woman alone, or because the crime is so bad that it's not safe under any conditions? Would a male companion make any difference in your opinion?

Arizona Mar 26th, 1998 05:56 AM

Even Arnold Schwartzenegger would be of little help when you and he faced six toughs with knives and guns after dark. If I were you and still wanted to test my thesis, have at least a dozen pit bulls with you...hungry pit bulls.

Rick May 14th, 1998 01:33 PM

I've lived in Chicago all my life, and have lived 2 blocks from Oak Street beach for the past 12 years. I spend a lot of time at the beach either sun bathing or biking. I agree, after dark, the beaches are really no place to be, and feel comfortable. Oak Street beach is NOT gay. It's mostly tourists from the hotels in Streeterville/Loop area. It's a good place to see and be seen, though. Heading North you have North Avenue beach, which is usually full of volley ball players. Lots going on. Good area for strolling. Next would be Fullerton Avenue beach. Nice beach, but usually busy. Sandy areas for sun bathing. The next beach is Belmont and Belmont 'Rocks'. This is mostly a gay beach area. It's called the 'rocks' as there is no beach, but rather rocks right to the water. However, there are ledges for sitting and sun bathing very close to the water. From the 'rocks' all the way North to Hollywood beach (Lake Shore Drive and Hollywood Ave., which is another very gay beach), there are no other beaches for sun bathing, etc. It's all Lincoln Park which includes grass areas for tennis, volleyball, soft ball, soccer, etc. I generally don't go South of Randolph on the bike paths, so the South side beaches I'm not too familiar with. Hope you enjoy your trip. Chicago, and it's beaches are great in the summer!

Tracy Apr 28th, 2002 09:40 PM

I enjoyed Oak Street Beach and as did my friends. You have to make your own entertainment so I recommend you bring a ball of some sort and a radio. I didn't stay to late at night but I know the city well enough. Leave just before dark and you'll have plenty of fun. And no the gay thing is not true and if it was do u really care that much?

Aunt Jennie Apr 28th, 2002 10:22 PM

Holy Cow! Are you a troll or what? Since noone else is treating you like one, I will answer this seriously.<BR><BR>Was born in Hyde Park on the south side, and lived there many years. My Mom is still there, and lives near the 56th Street Beach, which is the one near the Museum of Science and Industry. I go to the beach with my children when we visit each year.<BR><BR>The entire south side (the entire city) is very urban. The south side beaches are packed with families in the summer. As whites, we are in the minority, but we have always felt comfortable and been treated well. The children make friends fast and everyone enjoys cooling off on the lakefront. <BR><BR>The 63rd St. Beach would be similar, with no room for nudies over the age of three. <BR><BR>Just another thought here, do you know how cold Lake Michigan is?<BR><BR>As for skinny dipping in the moonlight, how about making me beneficiary on your life insurance policy? I wouldn't be thinking about breaking curfew. (And there is one in the City parks, which includes the beaches - at least there used to be.) I'd be skinny dipping in my bathtub. Or going after trolls on the bridge.

Aunt Jennie Apr 28th, 2002 10:24 PM

PS. The 56th St. Beach I mentioned would be the one in Jackson Park.

Ang Apr 29th, 2002 06:03 AM

Do you know how cold the beach will be in early June? Getting in the water especially after the sun goes down would be like jumping into a giant iceberg. Depending on the day it could easily still be cool outside in early June. It may be hot as well our temperature is very changeable. We have already had days in the 80s this year (the week after it snowed!) and now it is back into the 40s. Last year, I set my flowers out on Memorial Weekend and they died because the next week it got into the 40s again! Just to let you know it may be warm when you get here (could be 85 who knows) but even if it is, the water has not had time warm up and will still be cold.

x Apr 29th, 2002 07:55 AM

People wear all sorts of suits, including skimpy ones, at most beaches. Don't worry too much about that. Skinny dipping is another issue altogether.

top Apr 29th, 2002 12:41 PM

ttt

Chicagoan Apr 29th, 2002 12:47 PM

The beaches were just for sunbathing, etc. Swimming is not actually allowed.

Aunt Jennie Apr 29th, 2002 02:54 PM

xxxChicagoan. Where are you getting your information? The City employs life guards at the beaches. Areas are roped off for swimming or the lifeguards patrol in boats. Lots of people swim in the water.

top Apr 29th, 2002 05:23 PM