Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Chicago-based travel agent for international travel with baby?

Chicago-based travel agent for international travel with baby?

Jan 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Chicago-based travel agent for international travel with baby?

Hoping for some recommendations: my husband and I are (were?) very independent travelers, but travel with baby seems like a whole new ballgame. We'd like to plan a trip to southern Spain and maybe Portugal with a 6 month old this summer, and can see the value in some professional help. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM

If you are traveling with a 6 month old this summer, the baby probably hasn't been born yet. While it can be easy to travel with an infant, you might want to see what your life is like with a baby before you commit to a trip to Europe. The fact that you describe yourself as "very independent" tells me that you are likely to have some adjustments to make once the baby is here. If nothing else, you will need to know the temperament of the baby. If you give birth to a colicky baby for example, you aren't going to want to drag a crying baby around Spain (but you may want to leave such baby home with the grandparents while you go to Spain ). If you plan such a trip, I'd buy trip insurance and try not to make too many nonrefundable deposits.

I'm not a cranky old fodors poster but a parent who has taken my kids to 15 countries and most of the United States so far.
Jan 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
BKP

I would repost this on the Europe board. There are plenty of posts from parents taking small children to Europe. I haven't read of any that mentioned professional help in making arrangements.

My son is 3 1/2 and we've been traveling with him since he was just a few months old. There are differences. My suggestions are: rent an apartment instead of a hotel, take it slow, buy your child his/her own seat on the plane, and enjoy all the attention that your adorable little baby will receive!

It's the same ballgame -- but played much slower, with more equipment, less sleep, and (I think) is more enjoyable.

Congratulations on your new little one!

Jan 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Spain in the summer will be incredibly hot and you will need to limit baby's time outdoors - esp in the midle of the day. Also be sure hotel or apartment had very good AC and a pool. (Frankly - with a baby that young I would head for someplace with less severe weather - Seville if often over 100 in the summer.

Search this Thread