Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chicago - any recnet visits to a Fabulous Restaurant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chicago-any-recnet-visits-to-a-fabulous-restaurant-703743/)

annesherrod May 9th, 2007 07:24 AM

Chicago - any recnet visits to a Fabulous Restaurant?

DH and I are going to stay at the Palmer House in the beginning oj June for my Bday.

We would love any great ideas for Restaurants....

Would love to stay near the Hotel - short taxi distance or walk...

No Steak Houses....(although I do love a good steak!)

Are there any trendy or established good seafood or PanAsian type places??? Looking for something a little out of the ordinary????

TTess May 9th, 2007 07:43 AM

Alinea - the most amazing restaurant I've ever been to. I went with a group of foodies this past summer. It was an outstanding experience in presentation, service, ambiance and cuisine. Check out their website.

JJ5 May 9th, 2007 08:13 AM

Fronteria Grill just won "best restaurant in the USA" at awards yesterday. Tru came in for "best service" award.

You have immense choices, and the price range you desire is important information.

www.metromix.com

Trendy pan-Asian that I have been, I didn't think were fractionally as good as Fronteria- all pricing levels aside.

marilynl May 9th, 2007 09:38 AM

These are super-expensive places. What is your price range? And that is Frontera Grill, in case you want to Google it.

JJ5 May 9th, 2007 10:16 AM

Correct, marilyn, I didn't proofread.

I was shocked that Chicago won so many of the restaurant awards, as they did.

Restaurants are so subjective, that if you don't have a price range or some other "we like" characteristics, it can be picking one straw out of literally 100s. Romantic, service foodie, peace and leisure "want to be left alone" factors?? What is wonderful for one, is "neglect" for another. Wine? Drinks? Is that important? Love/hate places like Geja's? Many women just love it, others want more substance.

DRJ May 9th, 2007 12:40 PM

Alinea, named the best restaurant in the US by Gourmet mag, is memorable (and big bucks). You must reserve exactly 30 days in advance (as I recall). Also Schwa gets great reviews and requires very advance reservations.

annesherrod May 9th, 2007 03:03 PM

Thanks everyone, I lknow it is an open-ended question...

price is not a factor.

I visited wine spectators web site for their choice of best wine .... I love good wine but I an not an expert. So this is not super important. I think Fun, good vibe, chic, "different" cover it for me.... Still somewhat subjective I realize!!!!

annesherrod May 9th, 2007 03:18 PM

Has anyone been to The Slanted Door in San Francisco? I would love to know if there is something similar in Chi Town?!

TTess May 9th, 2007 04:30 PM

By the way, if you decide to dine at Alinea, go with their more expensive flights of wine. We chose to do so and worked bowled over by the wine, alone. It's an amazing experience. I hope you can get a reservation.

TTess May 9th, 2007 04:34 PM

Oh! Thought I should mention some others. We also dined at Charlie Trotter's (loved it but am disappointed in his cowtowing to the anti-foie gras people) and Spring. Since you mentioned Slanted Door, you might enjoy http://www.springrestaurant.net/

cbr May 9th, 2007 05:02 PM

I went last May to Chicago, which is a fabulous city. We ate at Spring in Wicker Park which was incredible and very different. For Asian we ate at Kamahachi(?) which was on Wells St near Second City and was also excellent.

DRJ May 10th, 2007 05:29 AM

FYI, the "tour" for two at Alinea including the wine upgrade will approack $1,000.

TTess May 10th, 2007 07:41 AM

Very true, DRJ, for the two of them but it's worth it. She said money is not a factor. It's five hours of the best of the best. ;;) We plan to fly out there, from California, at least once a year to experience Alinea. It's outstanding in every way.

marilynl May 10th, 2007 09:35 AM

I might say that "money is not a factor," too, but a thousand bucks would still not be what I meant!

DRJ May 10th, 2007 10:03 AM

TTess: Look into Schwa on eGullet.org. Nothing but raves.

Jen May 10th, 2007 10:19 AM

Schwa is indeed fantastic, but you will not be able to get reservations for June at this point. I also love Blackbird and Avec. For a really great vegetarian option, try Green Zebra.

annesherrod May 10th, 2007 01:12 PM

I am not sure my husband would like a tour or to pay $1,000 - He would ask if we coudl keep the gold plates!!! :D

Have you heard of two places called :
Normai (sp?)
Japonaise

an aquaintance thought these were very good!!

Great suggestions.....Thanks

It is so hard to choose....

elberko May 10th, 2007 01:34 PM

Frontera Grill was mentioned, but even better: Topolobampo, the sister resturant next door.

My husband and I had one of our best resturant experiences EVER there last September. Really wonderful if you have any inclination towards Mexican (NOT Tex-Mex, not that there's anything wrong with that!):

http://tinyurl.com/2wtoqb

~Liz

glorialf May 10th, 2007 01:53 PM

Schwa -- but it isn't easy to get a reservation

annesherrod May 10th, 2007 05:15 PM

Re - Frontera Grill - I love Mexican food but would never peg Mexican as being such a great restaurant expereince,so.... I am curious to try!!! Maybe we will go there the night before with our friends who are meeting us