Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago-2 sisters of a certain age, where to stay what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I plan to meet in Chicago for a rendezvous and see the sites. (we're in our 60s) we won't be driving. plan to stay downtown. does anyone have suggestions for a safe centrally located hotel and things to do? thanks
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
mma

In April we stayed at the Westin Michigan Avenue - we stayed for free with Starwood points, though. The location was great. Just across the street was the bus stop. It is right near the John Hancock bldg --We really enjoyed doing the Skytour - great explanation of what you were seeing. Never got to do a boat tour but heard that they are excellent. Depending on your interests, the museums are all wonderful. Check out the "Bean" statue and the two water fountains nearby quite different! This was our first time there and we all loved it! Thanks to help on this forum, we bought transit passes at the airport and took the CTA into the city. The passes were convenient when using the buses because we didn't need exact change every time we used them. Have a wonderful time!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM

The river cruise is usually a hit: http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8. Have a drink at the Signature Lounge (95th floor of the Hancock Building). It'll run you $15 with tip, but the views are great. Go to a concert at Grant Park: http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/schedule.shtml I highly recommend the Art Institute, especially if you like Impressionist art. The building itself is lovely, and don't miss the Thorne Miniature Rooms.
The Museum of Science & Industry is "the largest science museum in the western hemisphere" and is truly fascinating even if science is not your thing. Don't miss Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle if you go...stunning. Find out from your hotel staff how to get there (maybe taxi) as this museum is not right in the Loop.
Go to the opera, or to the Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...gl=us&ie=UTF-8

There's a lot to do in Chicago for people of all ages & all interests. Perhaps you could post what your interests are, when you'll be visiting, and how long you're staying.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM

First, what do you like to do? Museums? Shopping? Theatre? Second, when are you planning to travel?

Hotel rates and availibility in Chicago vary widely if there are conventions or large events such as Venetian Night or the Blues Fest.

Almost any hotel in the Michigan Avenue, River North or Loop will be fine. If you're going to spend most of your time shopping, you'd want to be closer to Michigan. If you're going to spend all your time at the museums or seeing shows, a Loop hotel would be closer.

All the sights are accessible by foot or public transit. Visitor passes would be a good investment. They allow unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses for a 24-hour period. A 1-day pass is $5, a 2-day pass is $9. You can purchase them at the rail station at either airport. Check www.transitchicago.com for other sites and maps.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Jed

Would you consider using priceline? We got a 4* hotel on North Michigan Ave at half of the regular price.
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM
mma

Hi 2Rovers,
I definitely agree with Travel_Gato that the Museum of Science and Industry is not to be missed. There is something there for everyone. I loved Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle and the entire display about the U15 (?) submarine. There is a bus (10?) that runs on weekends and during the summer. We ended up going into the loop and taking an express bus (28 or 58?) from there.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:57 PM

I too have gotten some great rates for Chicago on Priceline. You do get to choose your area.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I've stayed at the Drake and also at the Wyndham and would recommend both (although the Wyndham is right by a hospital so there can be some noise). Both were reserved on the hotel's websites and with specials, the rates were great (and included breakfast). One of my favorite unusual things to see in Chicago is the stained glass museum/exhibit at the Navy Pier. It's not in a traditional museum, just exhibited inside as part of the Pier complex (so no charge) but is an amazing and huge collection.