Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chestertown, Maryland - - things to do, boat rentals, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Joe

My wife and I are spending this weekend in Cestertown. Because I'm recuperating from minor foot surgery, hiking or even much walking isn't in the picture. We'd like to find boats that offer rides on the Chester or the Chesapeake, cultural events within driving distance, etc. I'd also appreciate suggestions for good restaurants for Saturday dinner. Thanks, Joe

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 09:37 AM
elaine

Joe,

My husband and I spent Memorial Day weekend in Chestertown. Due to inclement weather, I cannot make any recommendations for boat rentals, etc. (although the place where we stayed had access to this information). For dinner I would recommend Blue Heron (location is 'downtown' Chestertown), reservations essential (very casual), excellent menu (and chef). We also enjoyed dining at Harborside restaurant (location not in downtown area) - good (not great) dining....Blue Heron would be my preference. I recall finding a link to Chestertown/Rock Hall area - it gives a nice overview of cultural events, etc. You could also check with owners of where you will stay re: cultural events. Once off any interstates, the speed limit is taken very seriously. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 07:44 AM
topper

for joe - to the top

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Joe

Elaine, Thanks, we had a great weekend, including Saturday dinner at the Blue Heron. Joe

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:25 AM
elaine

Joe,

Glad to help re: dinner - we enjoyed our visit to Chestertown. We stayed at Great Oak Manor - may I ask where you and your wife stayed? As we are always looking for first-hand recommendations.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Joe

We stayed at the Brampton Inn just outside of Chestertown. Loved it. It's an 1860 manor house on 30+ acres. Stayed in the blue room - - beutifully restored at $165/day.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 04:27 AM
holly

We always stay at the Brampton Inn when we visit Chestertown. There's a little (teeny tiny) public beach - it was a grat place to sit and watch the sunset.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Amanda

We just returned from a 2 night stay in Chestertown area. We stayed at Great Oak Manor. Loved this B&B and would highly recommend it. We went sailing on the Miss Kathyrn out of Rock Hall. Great ship and Captain Bruce and wife are great and will let you help steer the boat. On the way home, we stopped in Chesapeake City (about a half-hour north of Chestertown) and ate at Bayard House. Wonderful restaurant overlooking the water. Crab cakes were to die for..