Need help with trip to Arizona in march

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning a trip to Az to Grand Canyon and page in mid march.

Arriving late on Friday night and spend the night in pheonix
Day 1 ) visit Superstition Mountains and possibly drive towards Sedona. Spending the night at Sedona
Day2 ) drive towards Grand Canyon while driving the red rock scenic drive and spend the night out side the Grand Canyon. ( conflicting if we should stay in the canyon - need some input)
Day 3 spend the day at the canyon and stay at Grand Canyon
Day 4 - drive to east rim and head to page.
Day 5 - guided tour to white pockets and buckskin gulch - vermillion cliffs area and stay at page
Day 6 - horse shoe bend, upper antelope canyon and lower antelope canyon and stay at page
Day 7 - canyon river trip from page 1/2 day and spend the rest of the time at page
Day 8 head back to pheonix for the flight

I wanted to add Bryce Canyon and I was told that it will be too cold in mid march and also time might be an issue

I would appreciate any help with this trip - what to not miss and where to eat and any help would be great

Thank you
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 07:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Stay inside the Grand Canyon National Park if you can get a reservation at this late date.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 09:53 AM

I'm with HappyTrvlr---Stay "In Park" Sunset and Sunrise are worth doing.

I would have a meal at El Tovar for sure. Bright Angel Lodge also has good dining.

Depends on what you want to do at Bryce. Some snow can add to the beauty. Might make hiking difficult. Would be a shame not to get in to Bryce Canyon while you were there. Guided Horseback Tour there is good too. I like Navajo Loop/Queens Garden Loop to hike there. Bryce Lodge isn't open in March.

Zion would be another option. Would be warmer there, but not as cold as Bryce.

You could encounter snow at the GC in March too. If you plan to hike down into it a bit consider purchasing crampons in the event of ice or snow.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:35 AM

I've been to Bryce in February and it's gorgeous. But I wouldn't recommend it for this trip as it's a long drive from the rest of the places that you'd be visiting.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:53 AM

Bryce is too far for this trip.

One night at Grand Canyon instead of two, and definitely stay inside the park. Add a second night to Sedona.

You have 4 nights in Page - that is a really long time. Horseshoe Bend, Upper and Lower Antelope is not really a full day. Driving along the Grand Canyon's east rim and then heading to Page will take a morning, not a full day. River trip is half a day as well. So right there, you have allocated 3 full days for basically 1.5 days worth of activity - try to reconfigure and combine some things and you'll have more time to spend elsewhere, like Sedona for example.

Superstition Mountains are beautiful, you can spend most of a day hiking and then head north to your next destination.

Personally I would redo the entire route and start by going to either Page or the Grand Canyon right away, then spend the last night either in Sedona or near the Superstitions. Either will make for an easy drive to Phoenix to catch your flight instead of driving all the way from Page.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 12:47 PM

The best part of this trip is Sedona. I love the Grand Canyon, too, and have stayed inside, which I highly recommend, but personally Page was my least favorite part of the trip. We did the river trip which was ok, but it was such a far drive to get there I wish we had just gone with Sedona and Grand Canyon. Definitely do the Pink Jeep tour in Sedona!
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Way too long in Page.

I spent time at Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon and the Best Dam View and all this was from late morning to mid-afternoon. And I didn't rush.

I went to Sedona for a few days. I did quite a few very scenic hikes.

This summer we visited some friend in Phoenix. They suggested going to Sedona. Not what I expected. We went to Enchantment for lunch and drove back. Not what I would have planned.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 03:38 PM

I agree, too many nights in Page. Cut back and add to Sedona.

I also agree about driving to page first. You could visit upper Antelope, Lower Antelope and Horseshoe Bend all on the first day, assuming you can get a fairly early start from Phoenix. I would suggest Horseshoe Bend first so the sun won't be right in your eyes and in front of the camera.

Day 2, do your other Page activities, overnight in Page

Day 3, drive to GCNP, going through the east gate and seeing the viewpoints, at LEAST Desert View, Grandview, and Lipan on your way to GC Village. Absolutely, positively, stay inside the Park if at all possible. If nothing is availavle, keep checking the website at least twice a day and call at least once a day. there are always cancellations.

Day 4, continue exploring at the GC. If you are hikers, you will want to hike part way down Bright Angel Trail or South Kaibab Trail and take the free shuttle to viewpoints along Hermit's Rest Road. Overnight at the GC.

Day 5, exit GCNP through the south gate and head to Sedona, taking the scenic Oak Creek Canyon road (89a), do Pink Jeep Broken arrow tour, sunset at Red Rock Crossing or along upper red rock loop road, overnight in Sedona

Day 6, Sedona -- Bell Rock, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Montezuma Castle / Montezuma Well, maybe a hike or two or browsing uptown or Tlaquepaque. Overnight in Sedona.

Day 7, head to Phoenix and visit Superstition Mountains (do you know what you want to see there?) and overnight in Phoenix before your flight. What time is your flight? If late in the day, you could add another night in Sedona before heading to Phoenix.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 04:02 AM

MikePinTucson has given you a great plan for your trip.

I would guess that you will be able to get lodging in GC which would be my choice. That said, be aware that the options are clean basic motel/cabin type places except for elTovar and the price is for the location, not the amenities. If you are people who want to smoke in the room or need a TV, work out room and pool to be happy, then opt for Tusayan motels.

If you have your mind set on the visit to the Superstitions first, just reverse the whole plan and expect a long drive on the last day. Be flexible, you can get snow in mid March in any of these places, well maybe not Phoenix, we once had it in mid April.