Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chelsea Wyndham- Good Area? Neighborhood? Near Downtown Boston? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chelsea-wyndham-good-area-neighborhood-near-downtown-boston-204552/)

ken cohen Apr 23rd, 2002 01:24 PM

Chelsea Wyndham- Good Area? Neighborhood? Near Downtown Boston?

Hi Fodorites, Does anybody know if the Chelsea Wyndham is near downtown Boston? Is it walkable? Or, is a subway stop walkable? Is it safe after dusk, but before 10 pm? Also, has anyone been to this hotel? Any comments? I am going in August with my three children.<BR>Thanks<BR>Ken

hmm Apr 23rd, 2002 02:43 PM

Chelsea is known as one of the poorest communities in Eastern Massachusetts. It's located just north (about 2 miles) of Boston in the shadows of the Tobin Bridge. Your hotel would most likely have beautiful views of the Boston skyline from the other side of Boston harbor. I don't think that Chelsea is particularly unsafe, rather it is simply very poor. <BR><BR>It is not walkable to Boston. Someone will have to tell you if in fact the T is close to the Wyndham, but I'm certain that you could catch a bus into the city.

bm Apr 23rd, 2002 02:52 PM

As the previous poster said, the hotel is located right off Route 1 at the foot of the Tobin Bridge. Certainly NOT walkable to Boston. There is no subway line to Chelsea, but there may be a commuter rail stop nearby. The hotel is new and looks nice from the outside, but again, as the previous poster said, Chelsea is pretty poor and there is not much around there.

aaaaaa Apr 23rd, 2002 05:45 PM

There's aWindham in Boston, maybe you can get a comparable rate.

bennie Apr 24th, 2002 05:12 AM

Previous posters are correct - the Chelsea Wyndham is walkable to Boston. Chelsea is a poor community (though moving up). Within walking distance of the hotel is one restaurant and a new supermarket, the local high school and a very run down mall. <BR><BR> But the hotel itself is very nice, opened about a year ago. My company (located right here in Chelsea) puts visitors up there and there have been no complaints other than the lack of options for dinner. <BR><BR>The commuter rail stop is hard to find - I've been here for 15 years and have only seen it once when I got detoured. I bet the hotel has a shuttle to take you to the airport and you could get off at the airport subway stop.

xxx3 Apr 24th, 2002 05:15 AM

But the airport subeay stop isn't particularly convenient, either, being on the Blue Line, and almost eerything else is on one of the other lines.<BR><BR>I think Bennie meant to say "NOT walkable."

gail Apr 24th, 2002 05:20 AM

I know nothing about the specific hotel but am familiar with the area - as hard as I try, I can think of nothing good to say about the area as a place to stay as a tourist. Getting into Boston from there would be a nightmare, even though, as the crow flies, it is not far.

ellymae Apr 24th, 2002 07:28 PM

I am going to Boston and after extensive searching, finally picked the Double Tree South of Boston&gt; It is by the Convention Center right across from the Red T stop shuttles to downtown during the day, shuttles to and from the airport. Can't tell you if I will regret it, but seems like a good place 119 per night. Might want to try that.

Maxie Apr 24th, 2002 09:12 PM

Do you mean "walkable" to Downtown Boston? If you consider 3 miles "walking distance" that would put you in the North End neighborhood, Downtown is farther. The nearest subway stop is nearly a mile and a half walk. I, personally, would not consider staying at a hotel in Chelsea for a visit to Boston.

ruth Apr 25th, 2002 03:15 AM

Well I am from the UK and stayed at this hotel last June. The rate was great compared to downtown hotel rates and as there were 4 of us we used cabs mostly, to go back and for Boston. It still worked out cheaper than staying in Boston. The hotel have a shuttle to the airport or to the commuter line. Not much around the hotel, a breakfast place and a restaurant, we either ate in Boston and came back late or ate in the hotel. Didn't find the area at all worrying. The hotel itself was really nice, v.friendly and helpful staff, v.clean, lovely pool and would thoroughly recommend.

bennie Apr 25th, 2002 05:30 AM

Sorry about the typo - I did mean not walkable.<BR><BR>Blue Line is fine - takes you to State Street where you can walk to the Common or Quincy Market, waterfront and the North End. Or you can take it to Gov't Center and switch to the Green Line.

Rose Apr 26th, 2002 05:14 AM

Hi Ken,<BR>I grew up in Chelsea, try to help out as much as I can. I have stayed at the Wyndham very nice hotel. It is true you can walk to Boston but that would not be advisable, beacause that would meen walking over the Tobin Bridge and that is not allowed. The other route would take a few hours. The other postings were correct about Chelsea being a poor community, I never had any problems I lived there for 25 year. Your hotel is on Everett Ave you will be able to see the bridge, at the foot of the bridge is a bus stop that will take you right into Haymarket Station, from there you can get anywere you want in Boston. And I would have to say you will be safe after dusk, a very busy road. While you are in Chelsea a few tips on were to eat. There is a pizza place called the Brown Jug the best around. Don' let the atmosphere fool you. And right up the street is a place called the Newbridge best steak tips in town. Hope I was of some help. Enjoy your trip

ken Apr 28th, 2002 04:52 AM

Elliemay,<BR>Thanks for the comments. Which Doubletree is it? Can I have the exact name please? Also, I am a party of five. Are they giving you a suite by any chance? Haven't gotten a rate for less than $171.<BR>THanks<BR>Ken

ken Apr 28th, 2002 04:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great. Any buses go in to Boston from Chelsea? Is anyone certain of this. My problem is that as I get closer to downtown the parking is $39 and up. In addition, there are few rooms for a party of five. However, if as many of you suggest, the location has little I will pursue further, possibly the Cambridge area. Any comments?<BR>Thanks<BR>Ken

Ellen Apr 28th, 2002 05:18 AM

Yes, several buses go into Boston from Chelsea -- you can find out all about public transport at www.mbta.com. That's what Rose meant when se described the buses to Haymarket, which is a convenient location for tourists.<BR><BR>An alternative to Chelsea is to go southward, to the suburbs of Quincy or Braintree, which have several suites hotels that are either within walking distance of the T or have shuttles to the nearest T stop.

Leslie Apr 28th, 2002 05:28 AM

There is a Days Inn on Grove Street in Newton, just off Route 128, that is next to the Riverside line of the MBTA (Green Line "D") that is very accessible to Boston. In that same parking lot where the T is, MBTA commuter buses go into and out of Boston to the Financial District. This might be a good option for you, because you would have 2 modes of transportation to choose from. And, because the hotel is right off Route 128, also means that you won't have to deal with the Boston traffic. It's a nicer Days Inn, as it used to be a Holiday Inn. The hotel has free parking, in a multi-level garage connected to the hotel.

ronald Apr 28th, 2002 05:37 AM

Since it seems that price is your first objective, and with 3 kids, you could also look at Logan Airport. This area tends to have more suite-type hotels at a lower price. Obviously, there is nothing to do at an airport and you would have to go into downtown for everything, but generally there is trasportation to the Blue Line subway which is an easy trip into Boston. But Chelsea is also almost equally tourist-unfriendly. You might get some other suggestions if you give us a price range.

Ann Apr 29th, 2002 07:28 AM

Leslie, the Day's Inn on Grove St. that you mention is (again?) a Holiday Inn I believe. It was just refurbished in the past year or so. It is an excellent alternative for your situation as you can leave your car in the hotel lot and walk to the T. Much nicer area for a family, and close to the Lexington/Concord historical areas as well. I wouldn't stay in Chelsea if I had other choices.

Ken Apr 30th, 2002 05:00 AM

Thanks again, everyone. My price range is about $150 or a little higher depending on if parking is included. I am a party of five, hopefully in one room. Closer Wyndham hotels do not seem to work out. Thinking of the Radisson downtown. Comments? Thanks

Ken Apr 30th, 2002 05:00 AM

Thanks again, everyone. My price range is about $150 or a little higher depending on if parking is included. I am a party of five, hopefully in one room. Closer Wyndham hotels do not seem to work out. Thinking of the Radisson downtown. Comments? Thanks