Chelsea Market food/walking tours...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me if the "food tasting/cultural walking tour" is worth the $38/person? They also run one in Greenwich Village too....
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:21 AM

I'm not familiar with the Chelsea Market tour but my daughter (age 16) and I just took the Greenwich Village food tour last week through foodsofny.com. It was fabulous and well worth the money.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Have only heard positive feedback from these food tours but never specifically the Chelsea Market one. I think there are combination tours (village & Chelsea Market). I kinda think you could do Chelsea Market on your own w/o a tour. Foodsofny.com , bigonion.com and several others offer walking food tours.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I have never been on one of these but have happened upon them when shopping at Chelsea Market. I hesitate to come down on one side or the other but for $38 per person I think you could do this on your own...some of the patter from the guides I have overheard is really basic stuff. Outside the fresh vegetable/fruit place (that is how I know it, of course it has a name), the guide was saying things like "..some of the top chefs in the city shop here....." If you are really interested in food, this will be far too basic for you. And if you are not all that interested in food, you can do it on your own. Do some research about each of the places in the market..I am sure there is a website (the big ones for locals include Amy's Bread and Buon Italia and the fresh produce place..), stroll around yourself and talk to the people who run the shops if you have specific questions. Then take the $38 dollars you saved and splurge on chowder or lobster rolls from the lobster guy in the market.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:37 AM

The real benefit to the food tours I've heard about is...they take you to different places (this wouldn't be nec. at Chelsea Market) and you get to sample small portions of stuff from a lot of different places (this you couldn't do on your own--you'd have to buy/order a full portion). I've never seen a tour exclusively of Chelsea market. I've seen combo the village and Chelsea.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:16 PM

If you are really interested in the food we eat in New York, I would recommend a visit to the Union Square Greenmarket. You can have many tastes there of local produce if you ask the vendors with a degree of politeness. The market is open on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays; Wednesday and Saturday being the most important of the four days. Many local chefs shop there and if you go early enough you will have a chance to spot them.... you may even spot one of the Fodor's posters!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:51 PM

We did the Greenwich Village tour several years ago and I would definitely recommend it. In addition to tasting some great food, you get a lot of history of the area. Saw a side of the village that I wouldn't normally have seen I think. Having said this, we are going back to NYC this weekend and have opted not to take the Chelsea tour but we are going to tour the Chelsea Market on our own. We are staying in the village and plan on revisiting some of the places that I went on the Greenwich village tour several years ago.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

I have finally decided between either the tour offered by Foods of New
York ($38/person) in Greenwich Village or the Big Onion tour-Original Multi-Ethnic Eating tour ($19/person). Can anyone say which is better?
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM

The Greenwich tour is FABULOUS and the patter overheard at a produce stand is not representative of what the tour will be like.

I learned more about shops and stores in Greenwich than a friend who grew up in the city. She wants to go on the tour with me the next time I am in the city.

Can't speak to the Big Onion tour - but I enjoyed the original and it was well worth the $38.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM

The Foods on NY tour of Greenwich Village is well worth it. I saved the informative handout of places visited and refer to it often.

Another great tour, but I don't recall the name of the operator, is to the Arthur Avenue area of the Bronx.

Enjoy!
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM

My daughter who lives in NYC, has been on both. She thought the Greenwich Village tour was great. Someone gave her tickets for Chelsea Mkt. tour and she was not necessarily looking forward to it, as she had been there a numer of times on her own and didn't see the need for the tour. She thought it was worthwhile,though. Interesting, good food samples etc. Furthermore, the tour extends outside of the Market and took in the Meatpacking district and this part of it was very interesting. I would guess she liked the Village tour more, but was pleasantly surprised with the Market tour.
I've been on the Big Onion tour of Harlem and thought it was very interesting... more cerebral with no food!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM

I can't speak for the Big Onion tour but the FONY Greenwich Village tour was fantastic! Originally, I thought the price was a little steep. But, I was so full by the end of the tour - the samples along the way were delicious (including a full slice from John's Pizzeria). The guide was wonderful and took us to such great places we never would have known about, such as an old speakeasy). I'll be in NYC over memorial weekend and am taking the FONY Meatpacking District tour.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:23 AM

We are considering the Greenwich Village tour from foodsofny.com I see that each tour takes 16 people, and I wondered if it was easy for all tour members (even those near the back of the pack) to hear the guide?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:59 AM

Hearing the guide was no problem for us and our tour did have 16 people. We simply formed a semicircle around the guide as he spoke about each food stop. He also provided a running commentary about the neighborhood (which was very interesting) so we stayed close to him as we walked. The area that is covered is fairly quiet so he didn't have to shout to be heard.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM

Thanks - that is exactly the info I needed. I was concerned because I realize the streets and sidewalks are narrow in the Village (glad that this wasn't an issue!) and I was afraid that if we were near the back of the group at some point during the tour we would miss what the guide was saying. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:37 AM

kcapuani, thank you again - I just booked our tour for the end of June!
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM

That's great! I'm actually off to NYC this weekend and am taking the FONY Meatpacking District tour. If it is anything like the Greenwich Village tour, I won't have to spend any $$$ on food for the rest of the day!
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:07 AM

kcapuani,
Please report back. We just did the Greenwich Village tour and loved it. I can't recommend it enough. We're thinking about Chelsea Markets on our next trip.
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:12 AM

kcapuani

Yes, please respond back about your experience! It will help with my planning.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:24 PM

I'm back from NYC and posted my trip report - just click on my name to find it. In a nutshell, the FONY Meatpacking tour was another fantastic experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -