Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Checking out the west for retirement - Texas - Arizona - New Mexico?

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like some much needed advice please...My husband and I are both recently retired. We live in upstate NY and would like to spend a month or 6 wks in a warm climate in the winter. This past winter we spent the month of February on the gulf coast of Florida. Very relaxed area, a couple of friends were down there also. It was very nice, but personally I would like to go to different areas and not fall into the Florida thing every winter. My husband loves fishing and golf (of course) and we both enjoy sightseeing, hiking, music and exploring new areas. He has a friend that traveled every winter with his wife to different parts of the country and finally loved and settled in Austin, Texas. Where would anyone suggest to spend a month that would have the things that I mentioned? If you have any ideas, please pass them along to me - I would appreciate it tremendously - thanks so much
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:26 AM

We are retired and spend winters in Hawaii. The highs there in the winter are in the low 80s. It's the most pleasant weather we have ever found. It has scenic beauty, lots of golf, sight seeing, hiking, music and great swimming, fishing, and snorkeling.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Austin. There's many good reasons why your husband's friend retired there.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Most of New Mexico will not be warm enough for golf and what you are looking for, I am afraid. The southern parts may be - Las Cruces, Silver City.

Phoenix, Scottsdale, Gilbert and similar areas around Phoenix will have what you want, but it may be harder to find a place for only 1 month; they prefer to a snowbird that will be there for several months.

San Diego and southern CA but that will be costly [not to say Scottsdale won't be].

What is your budget and what are you looking for as far as a rental - house, condo, apt??
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Is this question only for the United States? because Mexico offers what you are seeking.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 01:29 PM

California, Southern CA can be done on a budget..the Arizonia retirees do it every year.(Only they come in Summer to escape the heat!)

If retired MIlitary you can check all the places San Diego alone offers. There are other not as well known CA locales as well for Military affiliated. You need to know the rules as active duty of course have priority and some places have limits which means you may have to split your month.

San Diego has one of thie biggest fishing fleets and of course golf courses are plentiful.
https://www.navy-lodge.com/lodge_pag...odge_number=10
https://www.dodlodging.com/
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Sounds like Austin. Might try a rental in Lakeway for golf. Drive to Austin for music, about 30 minutes away. Lakeway near edge of Hill Country, wineries, Fredericksburg.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Any desire to live within 20 miles of the Gulf Coast?
I seriously considered the area around Corpus Christi or Lake Corpus Christi. Do any of these golf courses excite you?
http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...orpus+Christi/
I'm told that South Padre Island has some of the best sand beach on the Gulf Coast.