Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to travel from Columbus Ohio to New York City

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

DD and SIL want to spend a few days on New York city around December 3rd. I have been looking at flights and the cheapest I can find is in Delta for $ 361.00 return per person. Is this about the average or is there other flights I can look at. I have looked at Kayak, Travelzoo etc.

Southwest airlines do $ 107.00 one way but that is via Washington, and lands in Islip. May not be the most efficent way to go.

How long does it take to drive? Is there a train?

Sorry to be so dense but I live in New Zealand so don't really have any idea. DD asked me to research it as she know I love being on the internet. Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't say what the return date is but looking on kayak (and selecting all NYC airports and clicking on nearby airports for both Columbus and NYC) I see flights from Dayton to Newark for $300 and there are really cheap fares ($165) from Columbus to Philadelphia. They could take that and then train from Phil. to NYC. Don't know how badly they need to save money.

But apart from flights, have they looked at hotel prices? First week of Dec. is maybe the single most expensive time of year to visit NYC. Don't know where they're from or what options they have, but airfare is the least of their problems. They'll have to spend a fortune on accomodations.

I wouldn't fly Southwest via Washington to land in Islip. Too much trouble. But flying to Phil. and then train is not a terrible option imo. For driving times, go to maps.google.com

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie I think they may be crashing at a friend's place, or else would do a hostel. I will tell them about the Columbus to Philadelphia option.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
J62

see my reply on the airlines forum.

Airfares for mid October to mid Nov are $240 rt into either EWR on CO , or LGA on AA & Delta. I suggest you wait about a month to book your flight, or check back from time to time to see how far out they're offering the $240 fare.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks J62 I will suggest that to them.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Agree not to go for Islip - it it HOURS from NYC. Either go for one o fthe major 3 (JFK, EWR or LGA) or look at the Philly option (closer in time to Manhattan than Islip is)>
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Sorry - train would not be cheap - even if it is possible.

But you might look into Greyhound bus - not pleasant but usually very cheap.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:09 AM

they may want to look into www.megabus.com for some of their usa travels.

they can take other cheap buses to NYC, also. just google for it. there are several cheap companies offering cut rate transportation from major eastern cities.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM

I don't understand how airfares in mid Oct-mid Nov have anything to do with first week of Dec., the most popular week of the year to visit NYC. It would seem to me that waiting to book will only see prices rise. What am I missing?

Cheapest way from Phil. to NYC is by bus
megabus.com
boltbus.com

If they plan on staying in a hostel, it should be booked now.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Since there are 3 of you, the cheapest way is probably driving. It's 8-9 hours. Not much different than flying, if you fly into PHL or Islip.

Then the question is what to do with your car. You don't want to park in Manhattan. You can leave it at an off-site parking facility by EWR (~$10/day) and take the train from there (25 minutes on NJTransit.)
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 05:54 AM

I don't see 3 people Barry. It's DD and SIL.

I just came back to say if they've picked this date b/c of the lighting of the Rock. Ctr. Xmas tree, they should rethink the plan. It's impossible to get anywhere close to it and that's what will make this time so expensive. Everyone thinks it would be a fun thing to see but you'd have a better view on tv for sure.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM

If flying into Philadelphia, a few options to NY:

1. SEPTA train from PHL to University City; Septa train from University City to Trenton; then NJ Transit from Trenton to NY

2. Septa train from PHL to 30th St; Bolt or Mega Bus to NYC

3 Septa train from PHL to Market East; one of the Chinatown buses or Greyhound to NYC (But note that these buses are not as clean and much less pleasant than Bolt/Mega).

4. Septa train to 30th street; Amtrak to NY (quickest but most expensive option - least expensive fares RT Philadelphia to NY are @ $90 and go way up from there).

For planning purposes, the bus from Philadelphia to NY is scheduled as a 2 hour trip but could take significantly longer with bad traffic. Amtrak trips vary depending on train type, but always less than about 1:45. I'm not positive but think I recall that the Septa airport line (R1) takes about 30 minutes into the city stops I mentioned.

Also, there may be other secondary airports you could look into -- Atlantic City, Lehigh Valley-- that have transportation options to NYC.

However, for "a few days" your family needs to really weigh it is worth to spend so much time in transit to save a bit of money.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Driving option:

Drive to NYC, drop rental, rent from NYC, drop in Columbus.

Car rental + gas should be around $150 one way and IMHO, the most civilized. I drove to the great city of Cleveland this summer and it took me 9 hours, with bad traffic and road repairs.

The PA countryside surrounding I78/I80 is beautiful.

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

DD and SIL are not visiting New York to see the tree lighting at Rockerfeller Centre, DD is a Hammond B3 player and the greatest living Hammond B3 players (in her opinion) Joey De Francesco and Dr Lonnie Smith are playing at the Iridium from Wed 3rd Dec- Sun 7th.
There are only about 3 Hammond B3 players in New Zealand so these guys are like idols for DD and apparently hearing them both playing at the same gig, will be awesome.

They have a gig back in Columbus on the Friday night 5th, so can either go to New York, Wed morning through to Friday morning, or Sat morning through to Monday morning. They will be staying with friends so accommodation is sorted.

If the airfares work out to be too costly, they will see Joey by himself in Philadelphia on the 12 Dec ( a lot cheaper air fares that's for sure).

Will going at the weekend mean cheaper air fares or more expensive? I will go to Kayak and have a look shortly.

Because of their limited time, driving is not really an option.

It's 10.45 am here Sunday morning, daylight saving has just come in and I am an hour out on my times!!! Better go get dressed.

By the way this expense is all tax deductible I believe.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM

I'm with you NOW. Love Dr. Lonnie Smith. He's playing at Iridium with his trio Nov 27-30 but airfare no cheaper. http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com/calendar.php#200811
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Mclaurie are you going to go to the Joey D, and Dr Lonnie Smith gig?

Here are a couple of links to DD and SIL playing Hammond B3 and guitar. Both of these gigs were videoed by DH and myself so are very amateur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_gcyUZpz_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVQhrC58wvE

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Why don't they fly to Philadelphia on the Saturday? Train/bus to NYC that day and see the band on saturday and/or sunday? spend a few days in NYC then catch the band in Philly on the 12th? and then fly out?

or is that too outrageous to suggest?
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Good thought but they have to be back in Columbus for their music teaching on the Monday afternoon 8th Dec.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Columbus flights seem to have gone a lot lately. My son used to fly home from there for around $200 (2 years ago) and now it is $600.

I see Airtran and Northwest both in the $300 range.

Frankly, I'd probably suck it up and drive.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Forgot to say there is no Amtrak service to Columbus from anywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -