Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

cheapest rates for rental cars in San Diego??!!!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Laura

Will be in San Diego next week and am finding that the rates to rent a car are out of this world!!! Can someone please recommend a car rental agency with low rates in San Diego? We are travelling on a very limited budget. Thank you for any advice!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:28 AM
kimmie

ALAMO. They have great cars (Convertible Camaro), and great prices. My dad and I are like best friends, and our travel agency (Liberty Travel), recommened this car rental place for great selection and good prices.

Cars We have rented their:
Covertible Camaro...so much fun
Seabring Convertible...great ride
Mustang Convertible...awesome

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:06 PM
lcuy

I recommend Alamo too. Although I tend to rent boring cars, their cars are usually newer and very clean. The best prices come if you have a Costco Card. Beats all the other discounts like AAA.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:02 PM
xxx

Try Priceline.com for a cheap rate.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Cheryl

I am traveling to San Diego later this month. I have booked an intermediate sized car through Payless Car Rental. It was amazingly cheap for a 5 day rental. Their website is http://paylesscarrental.com

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:24 PM
lcuy

Drove by a place in San Diego yesterday called Dirt Cheap Rentals. Don;t know their rates, but the cars I could see looked new and clean.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:08 PM
natalie

Be sure to try Hotwire.com! I was able to get a full size car in S.D. for $33/day when all the other rental companies quoted me $60 and up!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Sue

I was able to find a reasonable car rental thanks to you all- checked into payless and found an alamo car cheap for 5 days in San Diego... decided to try the Alamo website and it was even cheaper! Now I won't have to take public transport (which I've heard is minimal) and will be able to afford a car while there.. Thanks alot!