Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cheaper Faneuil Hall parking OR someplace between Cape Cod & Boston to spend 2 hours (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cheaper-faneuil-hall-parking-or-someplace-between-cape-cod-and-boston-to-spend-2-hours-695121/)

Beth1096 Apr 8th, 2007 08:33 PM

Cheaper Faneuil Hall parking OR someplace between Cape Cod & Boston to spend 2 hours

Hi, the first week in June I'll be driving back to the Boston airport from Cape Cod and I'm looking to fill a couple of hours before our flight. I was initially thinking about Faneuil Hall but the parking rates seem really high for just 2 hours.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for the following:
1. Cheaper parking, or other idea to see Faneuil Hall. We'll have luggage so can't take the T.
2. Anyplace interesting between the Cape and Boston that we could spend our time.

Thanks.

Gene Apr 8th, 2007 08:57 PM

If you are heading up route 3 to Boston then an obvious choice is Plymouth, America's Hometown.

Here you can see the replica Mayflower ship that brought the Pilgrims to the New World and of course the Rock, as well as scenic views of Plymouth Harbor and many good dining establishments.

gail Apr 9th, 2007 12:10 AM

What time of day/day of week are you talking about - specifically when leaving Cape Cod, when is your flight.

Beth1096 Apr 9th, 2007 04:23 AM

Oops, seems I left out some info.

We'll be traveling back to Boston on Monday about 9-9:30 AM. Our flight leaves at 3 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion, I completely forgot about Plymouth. Even though we've seen some of it before, it's been a while and may be worth another look.

Are there any other cute little towns to just poke around in for a bit?

yellowbyrd Apr 9th, 2007 04:40 AM

You didn't say which part of the Cape you are staying in but if you have not already visited the Heritage Plantation Gardens it is definitely worth a look. They also have an antique car museum that is interesting. I know it is still on Cape Cod and you may be anxious to get over the bridge but it is in Sandwich so you won't have to go far to get off the Cape. The Azalea and Rhododendron gardens are just breathtaking in June. www.heritagemuseumsandgardens.org

bennnie Apr 9th, 2007 05:04 AM

Hingham, Scituate, Duxbury and Cohasset are all pretty little towns between the Cape and Boston. Hingham is the home of Talbots and has a great outlet store - if you like Talbots its worth a stop- right on Rt3A. Hingham also has a few very good restaurants - my favorite being Tosca's. The WorldsEnd is close by too - a very nice park to take a walk in - has great views of Boston Harbor. None of these towns are particularly tourist destinations but they all are very attractive and feel very New Englandish.

Gene Apr 9th, 2007 05:11 AM

After crossing the Sagamore Bridge you could take route 3A North to Boston instead of Route 3.

This scenic route runs along the shore through parts of Sandwich, Bourne and Plymouth.

After Plymouth it runs through the towns of Kingston, Duxbury, Marshfield, Norwell, Scituate, Cohassett, Hingham and finally Quincy.

You can easly jump back onto route 3 from most of these towns.

Beth1096 Apr 9th, 2007 05:32 AM

Thanks everyone for replying. You guys are great. I initially planned on going in April, but moved it back a bit on your previous suggestions.

It's been years since we've been able to get back to the Cape, so feels a bit like a homecoming to us. But on the other hand, I've had to research it just as much as a new place since so much time has passed and my memory seems a bit fuzzy on some things.

yellowbyrd, we're staying in Cataumet. Was going to bypass the Heritage Plantation this time around but just love Azaleas and Rhoddies so may have to rethink that.

bennnie & Gene, your suggestions on Rt 3A sounds really great. Kind of like 6A on the Cape.

As time draws nearer I'll probably post a few more questions, especially about food. Gotta get our fill of seafood!

TKT Apr 9th, 2007 07:54 AM

2 hours at the JFK museum, if that is an interest of yours, free parking

yk Apr 9th, 2007 09:03 AM

I'll also second the JFK museum suggestion.

bennnie Apr 9th, 2007 09:29 AM

The JFK museum is another excellent idea.

escargot Apr 9th, 2007 02:28 PM

I don't think you have as much time to fill as you think - if your flight leaves at 3pm, I would assume to return the rental car and check in you would want to arrive at Logan at least by 1:30 ?? -

it takes about 45-60 minutes to get to Logan from some of the spots mentioned (Cohasset, Hingham), meaning you'd have to leave those towns by noon - not time for a casual lunch plus it is a Monday and many restaurants are closed - Tosca's, which I agree is one of our nicest south shore restaurants, is closed on Mondays most of the year, I can not honestly remember if they open on Mondays in the summer, you would have to check if that option interested you.

Plus if you leave Cataumet at 9:30, you wouldn't get to Hingham until 11:30/noon, and you'd have to leave to get to Logan at 1pm - - that is the way I would figure the timeline anyway -

So to me, the options would be to take a leisurely ride from Cataumet to Logan - although having lived here all my life I don't see the charm to the entire 3A route, but do to some of it - some parts of 3A through Marshfield and through Cohasset are not particularly great views, to get into Scituate Harbor or Cohasset harbor or Cohassets quaint downtown or common area you need to actually get off 3A, - otherwise you are just passing commercial buildings -

If you really want to see some south shore area, maybe you would consider getting off the highway at the 228/Hingham exit and follow 228 to down to Route 3A (Eleaner Roosevelt called this stretch the prettiest street in America, lots of old homes, all but one painted white with black shutters, etc) - and then follow 3A to hingham rotary, hingham harbor, and you could stop in hingham square where parking is free for a quick ice cream, sandwich or whatever - maybe an appetizer if Tosca's is open - or continue around the bend to the Lobster Pound - take your life in your hands by parking on that sharp turn :) - and have a lobster roll and continue 3A along thru Weymouth, Quincy Fore River Bridge and along Wollaston Blvd onto the highway and to Logan -

this doesn't give you anytime to wander through Worlds End in Hingham, but you could do that instead of eating as one of the entrances is near the Hingham rotary-

check out thetrustees.org
which lists Worlds End and other spots you might choose to stop at on your way up

The JFK LIbrary might be your best bet - it is open on Mondays -
you could leave Cataumet at 9am, be there by close to 10:30 or 11 at the latest - and have 90minutes -

or leave Cataumet at 9, jump off the highway at Derby St/Hingham exit around 10, go to the Derby Street outdoor Mall - stretch your legs for 45 minutes, grab something light for an early lunch at Panera or a salad at Burtons and head into Logan by 12, 12:15 and you should get there by 1:15 latest, it's all highway and a highway stop without having to go down 3A or windy roads where you can get behind someone slow and have low speed limits -
Derby St website lists all the shops and restaurants:
and gives you an idea what it is like www.thederbystreetshoppes.com/

oryou might just opt for a leisurely breakfast on teh Cape and head straight to Logan ---

Dreamer2 Apr 9th, 2007 02:40 PM

I hate to be the party pooper, but there is no way I'd be sitting an hour south of Boston on the day I have to fly out. You'll have to be returning the car by 1:pm, and you have to allow a couple hours to drive in. I think I'd head in to the North End. You may get lucky at a meter, or you'll just pay the lot/garage prices. Then just walk around, see the old North church, find a good place for lunch, and pick up some authentic Italian treats at Salumeria to bring home. Best wishes!