cheap vacation for three adults

Jul 11th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

cheap vacation for three adults

My husband, a friend and I will all be going to DC next summer. How much time we can spend there depends on how cheap we can get by. Any ideas on cheap stays, eats, etc would be so appreciated. We don't mind staying places that are old or bare-bones, but we do want clean and safe. Also, suggestions on any "must see" places would be welcome.
Thanks for any advice!
Kathi
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Hi Kathi,

For hotels, since you are looking for bargains, I'd use Priceline.com to get rooms. First, read bids and advice on www.biddingfortravel.com, which tells you all about how to use Priceline to get the lowest prices for what you want.

Consider staying just over the river in Rosslyn or Crystal City, Virginia. Looks like on Priceline you could get 3* in Crystal City for between $50 and $80 a night, and it is very convenient to get into DC by metro from there.

Also, so much of DC's must sees are free! The Smithsonian museums, the monuments, Arlington Cemetery, the Zoo, etc are all free. Metro is great for getting around, and not expensive. You can walk all around downtown to see the White House and most of the monuments (Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, Korean, Vietnam, and the new WWII memorial). FDR memorial is also worth seeing.

Other things are also free - tours of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the Holocaust Museum - these require time-stamped tickets that you pick up same day).

Hope this helps a little.

Karen

Search this Thread