Notices

Cheap Hotels in Washington DC

Old Jul 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap Hotels in Washington DC

We are flying to Newark in September and then travelling to Washington DC area. We are looking for the cheapest way to get to Washington, it appears that the train or plane are expensive so we thought we could try bus travel but don't know the cost or how long it takes. Any help here would be appreciated. We are also looking for a cheap Hotel approximnately $120 per night maximum which is near enough to a metro station to travel into Washington daily.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just in DC (got home last night) and got a very nice hotel on Hotwire (The Dupont Hotel in Dupont Circle - fantastic location) for $125 a night. Do your research on betterbidding.com, and you should be able to find something great right in the city. What are your dates?
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can take Amtrak - take the airport train to Newark Penn Station and there you can pick up an Amtrak train. Prices are much lower if you reserve in advance. Acela costs more and is a little - but not a whole lot - faster.

There are some very inexpensive buses (as cheap s a few dollars if you get tickets far in advance) but as far as I know they only go from Manhattan to DC. And then you would have to pay to get to Manhattan. It would be worthwhile to check the airport web site to see if there are any buses to DC (but I'm not sanguine).
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about buses from Newark to DC, but there are several reputable bus lines that run between NYC and DC. The ones I would look at are Bolt Bus, MegaBus and Vamoose. You can get tickets on Bolt Bus and MegaBus for as little as a $1.00 each way if you can book early enough in advance of your trip. The low prices are a great promotion and should not make you think that these are crummy buses. These buses are regularly used by tourists, business people, college kids (including my daughter), families ,etc.
As for accommodations, one place in my area (Arlington, VA) that gets great reviews is the Americana Hotel. It's an older hotel, but in a great area. You are within walking distance of two Metro stops that will get you into D.C. in a matter of minutes. I would expect the rate in September to be under $100 per room.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are now booked into the Americana Hotel, Crystal City which has some good reviews - We will be going in and out of the Capital each day as they have a free shuttle - any ideas for cheap eats either in the Capital itself or near by the Americana Hotel. All this help is really great so many thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is Washingtonian's Cheap Eats guide:

http://www.washingtonian.com/packages/cheapeats

There is also a restaurant finder on that site
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also look through this:

http://tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sf3707

I wAS just about to mention the hotel in Dupont Circle..stayed there about 15 years ago, not fancy it was nice, and at the time you could even order breakfast up - nice area too, except it reminded me of that song about the guy who was lost on a Boston subway and could never find his way out. Dupont Circle is hard to find in and out and I think they said Teddy Roosevelt had streets in DC built that way when he was Pres. so he could lose people following him and have some privacy.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Teddy Roosevelt had streets in DC built that way "
Not so.
The street grid with an overlay of diagonal avenues was established by architect Pierre L'Enfant, who was assigned the task by George Washington and designed the plan in the 1790s.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're correct , L'engant designed I guess around 1800 but the area expanded and it is not just diagonal avenues, but circles obviously. I could be wrong but I did think it was Pres Teddy Roosevelt who liked to take walks around Dupont Circle to lose people and so he wouldn't be bothered....makes sense since it seems the Roosevelt mansion is in there someplace along with many embassies nearby.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this information