Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   cheap hotels for nyc (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cheap-hotels-for-nyc-672003/)

qman Jan 20th, 2007 09:03 AM

cheap hotels for nyc

I wanted any recommendations on a cheap hotel for nyc in April for 2 people?All the websites I check out either have shared bathrooms or they aren't cheap,thx in advance.

HowardR Jan 20th, 2007 12:49 PM

What do you consider cheap?

nytraveler Jan 20th, 2007 01:57 PM

If you don't want to share a bath a couple of options are:

The Newton - upper west side, VERY basic, but in a good area and many rooms have private baths

applecore.com - a group of budget hotels, mostly in midtown, that get decent reviews.

Check tripadvisor.com to see recent reviews on all.

If you want something much cheaper than this you won;t find it in Manhattan without sharing a bath.

qman Jan 20th, 2007 02:48 PM

I'm looking at around $100 a night for 2 people

sister2 Jan 20th, 2007 03:04 PM

I agree with NY traveler..won't find it for $100/night. Newton is $120 with shared bath---$150 with private bath.

Log onto www.vrbo.com..there are alot of people who lease out their apartments. Maybe for a few more dollars, you can have a better property.

Filloa Jan 20th, 2007 03:30 PM

I guess that the right link is www.applecorehotels.com
Good luck, qman!

traveler24 Jan 20th, 2007 04:31 PM

Also as some one mentioned you have to figure 15% tax added on to your room fee...From what i have read on this site there is no way you will find a room for $85.
I wonder if there is ANY chance Priceline would work for this price????
In my experience with Priceline (which I like) if they could fine a place for your price I would be afraid to stay there as it could be located in a less safe part of town????
Good luck..

dtrout Jan 20th, 2007 05:30 PM

We stayed at the Travel Inn on 42nd St. this summer for about $150.00--nice room, your own bathroom. And the reason we stayed....free parking.

HowardR Jan 20th, 2007 05:34 PM

I would recommend you either increase your budget or find another destination....and I'm being sarcastic!

HowardR Jan 20th, 2007 05:42 PM

Ooops, I meant to say that I'm NOT being sarcastic! I must learn to proofread my postings!

ExpertTripPlanner Jan 20th, 2007 06:45 PM

Hotel Wellington?

nytraveler Jan 20th, 2007 06:52 PM

Don't know your exact dates - but the Wellington is showing special internet rates starting at $229 per night plus tax.

Really - $100 is not reasonable unless you are willing to do a B&B with shared bath. And even then - you need to be careful which place you choose.

Two bunk beds in a group room in a hostel would be about $70 per night - so you can see just how little $100 will get you.

Really you need to either increase your budget - or perhaps look at staying in one of the bargain chains out in Queens or New Jersey. But then you will spend a LOT of time - and perhaps considerable $ - getting back and forth to the city.