Cheap but cool hotels in San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I have to drive from Los Angeles down to San Diego next weekend for family business and want to stay overnight (Sat., Nov. 1). Any suggestions for an inexpensive but nice hotel?? Something funky or out of the way is fine, as long as it's clean and has the usual imenities. I don't know SD at all, so any info would help! Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:19 PM

Inexpensive hotels are a bit hard to come by in SD. What do you consider "inexpensive"? Where in the city is the family business? Do you want to stay away from the family that evening? A bit more information, please.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM

Hi we stayed years ago at "the Cottage" B&B in San Diego. saw that it is still around http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/ca/x/caxa901.htm
again it was several years ago but I still remember how pleasent it was and that we could walk to shops/bars/dinner
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi, it's the original poster again. Thanks for the B&B suggestion, I'll check it out!! What I mean by "inexpensive" is maybe around $100 for the night?? Top price we'd want to pay is around $150. The family business is actually having to clean out some stuff of someone who is ill. No family will be around, so what part of town we stay in doesn't matter. Just so long as it's "fun", maybe we can walk to dinner, etc. I'm 35, my boyfriend is 29 if that helps. Thanks!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:25 PM

look into Holiday Inn National City, just south of San Diego
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would avoid National City. A quick chek on Google showed the following hotels may have rooms in your price range: Best Western by the Sea in La Jolla; Prava Hotel downtown in the Gaslamp District; Ocean Park Inn in Pacific Beach; BW Hacienda Suites in Old Town; BW Stratford Inn in Del Mar; Empress Hotel in la Jolla. These are all walking distance from a variety of restaurants.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:55 PM

You could try Best Western Inn in La Jolla. It is only a couple blocks from the beach, and is walking distance to several clubs and hotels. Another option would be to stay in downtown San Diego, in the Gaslamp district or near the bay. There are several hotels there that would fit your price range, particularly if you use Priceline. The Westin, Hilton, Marriott Marina, W, Horton Grand, Embassy Suites are a few possibilities, particularly if you use Priceline.

For more info, see localwally.com or gaslamp.org. See biddingfortravel.com for tips on how to bid on priceline.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:59 AM

check out the innsuites on el cajon blvd. in university heights. it was once an old school hollywood hideaway with ava gardner and bob hope being regulars and a swimming pool that was designed by "tarzan" (johnny weismuller). the property has changed hands a number of times over the years and is now part of the 'innsuites' hotel/motel chain. has a good central location with easy access to restaurants in hillcrest, down the street from balboa park, and next door to the coolest piano bar in sd (and if you're a local music rock star - a block away from live wire.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:16 AM

There's a good Best Western right on the beach in Pacific Beach.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:42 PM

For a good time the people recommending Pacific Beach, La Jolla or GasLamp our right. You have restaurants and bars close in all locations. If you are in your early twentys probably Pacific Beach with the boardwalk, restaurants and bars would be perfect.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:51 PM

check out biddingfortravel.com for great deals via Priceline on hotels in SD. I think anywhere near the Gaslamp District would be fine. Also - try hotels in La Jolla, too.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 03:12 PM

I would certainly stay downtown... and Hotwire.com has a 4 star hotel for 111.00 a night. I would almost guarantee that it's the Westin, W, Hilton Gaslamp or other great hotel.
Go for it!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 02:00 PM

If you want something different, check at the Crystal Peir Hotel. They have cottages that are right over the water. This time of year the rates might be lower.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your great suggestions! I am going to go on hotwire, priceline, etc. right now and check it out! These hotels sound fantastic, I'm going to google each one! Thanks again!