Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wheres the Good Eats on Floridas I Drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm off to Florida in November and I'm sure we'll be overwhelmed with places to eat. I'm from the uk and everyone says go to the Ponderosa - but as it's usually Brits that are in there (so I'm told) I don't think thats the best recomendation. Can you help and suggest a good reasonable place for food (breakfast or dinner)
Thank yoo!
Paula
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM
MaureenB

Where in Florida?
If you mean Ponderosa steak house, that's a very unremarkable chain that wouldn't impress you with the quality of food in the US!
Lots of great restaurants in Florida, especially for fish. Just tell us where you'll be staying.

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Do you mean "International Drive" aka "I Drive" In Orlando ?...I am not sure but hopefully some other posters can recommend....
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:12 AM

On I-Drive, you will be overwhelmed by places to eat but from my limited time there last year, you'll do well to find anything remarkable on the main central I-Drive drag.

We went to Ponderosa for brekafast after seeing it recommended on the BBC Holiday programme. One word - awful. Made me feel dodgy all day. It did seem very popular but it's definitely sacrificing any quality for quantity. You will soon see why the food is cheap, probably even by Orlando standards. I'm not a foodie at all and in no way a food snob but this place wasn't good.

I recall going to a steakhouse one evening on I-Drive which was about the best meal I had there but unfortunately I can't remember it's full name. There must be a few recommended places others can recommend but I wasn't there long at all.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Ponderosa is a buffet and not a very good one. But they are inexpensive.
I-Drive is a mecca of chain restaurants all up and down the 2-3 miles of it. You will be able to find anything you want. It all depends what you are hungary for. Right off of I-drive is Fishbones, which is a really nice seafood place. For breakfast Ponderosa is good or Perkins or International House of Pancakes.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Orlando is hardly the good food capitol of the world. Tons of very basic - and greasy - chain restaurants aimed at stoklng the entire family with max calories at min cost.

If you want some place pleasant for dinner I reco Hemingway's at the Hyatt Grand Cyprus - a pretty setting with nice food (esp good conch specialties) at a reasonable price.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sorry I should have said I'm staying in Orlando on I Drive. Thanks for the suggestions - I will definitely stay away from Ponderosa! To ask another Q, where's a good place for breakfast? The IHOP sounds lovely but I'm trying to cut down on carbs - perhaps Orlando wasn't a great dietary choice!Paula.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Hi mrs paul I did a quick check for you on the restaurants there. Bahama Breeze is fun and has good food for a chain...same with Cafe TuTu Tango and Fishbones...Chilis is not bad for Tex Mex and Houilhans has good bar fare..not all gourmet but definitely better than Ponderosa....IHOP has good plain breakfast fare...just don't order pancakes;-)(which I adore )
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM
lvk

BBC recommended Ponderosa?

It reminds me of the relatives who came over from Germany for a tour and ate (by choice) at Long John Silver's every night. They just couldn't get enough of the Hush Puppies. Go Figure.

On I-Drive, we enjoyed the Kobe Japanese Steakhouse, where you get a little cooking entertainment with your dinner. The quality of the steak and seafood was very good.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 02:19 PM
MaureenB

As someone else said, Orlando isn't exactly known for its fine dining establishments (no offense, O town). It caters more to families who are interested in a relatively quick and inexpensive meal, hence all the chain restaurants.
Actually, though, the Disney hotels have nice, upscale restaurants in them-- the Floridian especially, and also the Hawaiian themed one (whatever it's called), and the wilderness lodge, too, had upscale restaurants.

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 03:40 PM

The chains on Orlando's International Drive will be bad choices for a foodie, that's for sure. For someone on a low-carb diet, it could be hell. Having been there when I was not on the South Beach Diet (laugh, sure, but it works! 28 pounds in two months), and remembering how awful the food was, I'd say you're not in for a transcendental culinary experience.

You've gotten some good advice from other posters, however: Get yourself to the upscale hotels and take culinary refuge in the better restaurants you'll find there. Florida does have really good seafood, and if you balance that (and lean beef, pork and poultry) with double fresh vegetables, you'll be golden. In the US, sit-down eateries practically always serve a starch as a side with the main dish; but I always ask to double up on those vegetables, and they always oblige. At the Contemporary, the California Grill is maybe Orlando's best restaurant.

Too bad you're not going to Miami Beach-- it's a lot easier to follow low-carb diets there.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I won't be off to the Ponderosa, that's for sure! All I need to do now is calm down - it's only 3 weeks away from my first holiday in the US and I can't wait! Paula
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:42 AM

mrspaul: have the best time ever!!!! You will probably have decent weather (hopefully)...not too hot!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:10 AM

mrspaula:
Welcome to Orlando, I hope you enjoy your stay here. The weather should be great here at that time. Hurricanes are over!!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:50 AM

I'm going to differ with some other posters about the quality of restaurants in Orlando, but this may be a matter of definition.

True, most reataurants on I-Drive are chains and not great, but downtown Orlando -- away from the Disney influence -- has many excellent restaurants, especially in the Lake Eola area.

BTW, I don't live in Orlando, but have learned about the (good) restaurant scene from people who do live there. (They try to keep it a secret from the tourists.)
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:51 PM

Lots of steakhouses and fish restaurants for those trying to cut down on carbs! Check out Norway in Epcot for a reasonably priced buffet full of cheeses and fish... Also, Spoodles for tapas is fun on the Boardwalk.
For breakfast, you may like the Villa Flora at the Gaylord Palms, but it isn't "cheap." Sixteen dollars for a vast array of breakfast buffet and cooked to order eggs/omelets, and includes coffee or tea and choice of juice. Also, a cool atrium display inside lets you "tour" look-alikes of different parts of Florida, such as the Keys, St. Augustine, and the Everglades.