Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cheap Boston Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cheap-boston-hotels-631878/)

hoopstraveler15 Jul 18th, 2006 09:05 AM

Cheap Boston Hotels

What is the cheapest overall hotel in Boston. What is the cheapest downtown boston hotel. What Boston hotels provide the most bang for your buck. What is the cheapest centrally located hotel

steviegene Jul 18th, 2006 09:07 AM

I think the best bang for your buck is the Mariners house, in little italy. Its a beautiful hotel for about $100 a night. But you have to be in the navy or merchant seaman to stay there

MFNYC Jul 18th, 2006 09:49 AM

To get the most bang for your buck in general, use priceline (unless you need more than 2/room)

designmr Aug 30th, 2006 11:00 AM

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I'm thinking of visiting Beantown this or next year.

What's a decent cheap ($60-100/night) Boston hotel near downtown and/or a T stop? The neighborhood it's in must at least be safe, if not a place in its own. My destinations will be Cambridge, Beacon Hill, downtown, and Boston Common/Back Bay if there is time.

The previous entries did not help much :\

wyatt92 Aug 30th, 2006 11:02 AM

You won't find a hotel in Boston for under $100/night. For that price range you're going to have to stay outside the city in a not so nice place. I think Priceline is your best bet.

designmr Aug 30th, 2006 11:11 AM

I'm thinking NOT a Priceline-based price. Okay, $100-$150. No more Priceline ads. Please.

rjw_lgb_ca Aug 30th, 2006 11:15 AM

But that's the problem: The greater Boston area is a tight, very expensive lodging market. Without Priceline, the pickings even at $150 a night are mighty slim. I do, however, have a possibility: My favorite, the Newbury Guest House, right on Newbury Street in Back Bay. Perfect location, wonderful B&B style guest house. But I don't know if you can still get a room for less than $150/night.

milemarker0 Aug 30th, 2006 11:16 AM

All depends on the time of year and whether it's weekend or weekday. It makes all the difference...can you give us a time frame.

designmr Aug 30th, 2006 11:27 AM

Milemarker, I really don't have a time in mind. If anything, most likely next summer. But tell me, when's the season to get the lowest rates?

I read about Newbury, and like its Back Bay location. So that sounds good. What about the HoJo I read about near downtown (not sure what neighborhood)? Is it okay?

wyatt92 Aug 30th, 2006 11:37 AM

I wasn't trying to be an ad for Priceline but your budget is very unrealistic. $150 would be the minimum I think you'd find anything. Plug in some dates on hotels.com or a similar site and see what you come up with. Beware that hotels often advertise as Boston/Waltham or such and those hotels are not in Boston and a pain to get into Boston.

designmr Aug 30th, 2006 11:44 AM

Thanks for the tip, wyatt

bm Aug 30th, 2006 11:50 AM

Try the Mid-Town Hotel on Huntington Ave. Good location, relatively cheap.

milemarker0 Aug 30th, 2006 12:18 PM

Winter is definitely cheaper. Summer is high season, as well as Spring (Because of Graduations)You can often catch good deals in April, or after graduations up until July 4th.

I know you don't want to deal with Priceline, but what about Hotwire.

With a little bit of research, you can pretty much get a good idea of what 1 or 2 hotels it will be.

In the Winter or off period times, you can regularly get nice hotels for $100 sometimes less. (i.e. Doubletree Theater District, Radisson, Park Plaza, Holiday Inn Express Gov't Center, Hyatt Downtown, just to name a few)

If the HoJo's you're refering to is the one next to Fenway, you can do a lot better. Kind of a Motel style place that is really only busy during Baseball season or if you're looking for cheap accomodations to crash for the night....and it's not usually too cheap, because of it's location.)

bardo1 Aug 30th, 2006 12:21 PM

Everything is relative. A cheap Boston hotel is $250. A cheap NYC hotel is $300. A cheap hotel in farm country is $40.

That said, this Beacon Hill B&B is the cheapest place to stay in central Boston and gives the greatest value (note - these rates are before taxes):

http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/