Search

Chateau Chantal/Mission Peninsula trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:48 AM
DPT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chateau Chantal/Mission Peninsula trip report

Just got back from a 2-day getaway and you can mark my husband and I down as two more Chateau Chantal fans. I had posted about going earlier in the year, but we never managed to make it up there until last week. In fact, it was our first time on Old Mission Peninsula and we were very impressed.

We stayed in Room 4, Lebasque, which has views of both East and West Bays as well as the surrounding hillside. It was absolutely wonderful. It has a jacuzzi tub and a deck that overlooks East Bay. It's closest to the stairwell leading up to the second floor of the inn, so we could occasionally hear the creaky floorboards, but we felt quite comfortable. Had the shades drawn up just so we could see the full moon over the bay - beautiful! Only negative points about the room itself is that the shower curtain smelled a bit mildewy - not a big deal at all - and the toilet stopped flushing on the day of our departure.

Can't miss watching the sunset on the patio - postcard-perfect!

They've started a tapas tour this summer, with a tour of the vineyards and the winery with pairings of 8 of their wines. I thought this was far more valuable than hitting the tasting room, as the small bites worked very nicely with their wine selections. We happened to be a small group of 4 that day, which made for friendly conversation. They typically accommodate groups of up to 16 for the tapas tour.

Breakfast was quite nice, served in the hospitality room with big French country tables. They served a frittata with bacon and fresh fruit and muffins. Great coffee and of course cherries in a bowl to snack on.

As far as the rest of the Peninsula, we drove up and down as many of the roads as we could (felt too lazy to bike, but have already made commitment to return for bike trip up and down all those hills). The Old Mission General Store is cute. We had dinner at Old Mission Tavern and we thought it was delicious - I've heard from others that the quality isn't always reliable so I'm glad that we at least had an "on" night.

Can't wait to return! We're still hoping for a midwinter experience out there.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM

That area is quite lovely. A question about the tapas tour, how much do they charge and is it only certain days/times of year?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
DPT
Original Poster

Here's what I found on the website - I had no idea about prices since my husband surprised me with the whole trip.

http://www.chateauchantal.com/our_b&b/Tapas_Tours.htm

Andrew is pretty knowledgeable - don't let his youth fool you!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:41 PM
DPT
Original Poster

sorry - http://tinyurl.com/hj63o
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I lived out on OM for ten years and loved it, it's a wonderful place. You stayed in my favorite room there, lucky you!

You also ate at my favorite restaurant in the whole TC area, although The Boathouse on Bowers Harbor is nice too, then theres the Red Mesa Grill in town and....... lol I'll stop while I'm ahead!

If you can, there is a nice wine and mac and cheese event with the OM vineyards the weekend after Thanksgiving. The website is www.wineriesofoldmission.com/macandcheese.html although it isn't working at the moment. might have something to do with the storm that went through a bit ago, my power was out for a bit.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Thanks DPT. It sounds like a great tour.

Rapunzll, I've avoided the computer until now because of the storms. Earlier the temps dropped 20 degrees in about 10 minutes. The only good thing is we need the rain.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Suzie, here is an article from the wretched eagle about the tapas tours
http://www.record-eagle.com/2006/jun/12corner.htm
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:55 AM
DPT
Original Poster

I saw something about the WOMP Mac n Cheese - I think I may have to head up there!