Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charm/Ambiance in French Quarter Accomodations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:50 PM
Georgann

My husband and I are going to N Orleans in October.I would love a place with charm and a balcony right in the French Quarter but not right on Bourbon St. Looking forward to any suggestions....thanks in adbvance.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 03:37 PM
Carol

I would highly recommend THE MELROSE MANSION. It is across the street from the French Quarter on Esplanade Ave (505) 944-2255. My husband and I were married and spent our honeymoon there. It is luxurious from the limo sent to pick you up at the airport down to the late night cognac on the veranda. Melvin and Rosemary made us comfortable from the time we entered the door to when the limo took us back to the airport. Worth every dollar!!!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 03:54 PM
Meg

You don't mention a price range, but I'd suggest Soniat House or Maison de Ville. I don't know if either of these places has street balconies (or courtyard balconies, for that matter), but they both have great courtyards.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 05:30 AM
elaine

We stayed at Soniat House early May. There is a 2nd floor 'common' balcony for the property (there is also an 'annex' across the street which also has balconies) - overlooking Chartres Street in the French Quarter. The courtyard rooms (2nd floor) have balconies where you can have breakfast, cocktails or simply relax. It's a lovely property. SH has an 800# - their brochure is a perfect depiction of the accommodations. Website is:
www.soniathouse.com

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:12 AM
RB

The above suggestions are all great. While it's been a few years (1993) since our last stay, we have enjoyed the Hotel Ste. Helene, 508 Chartres St., website members.aol.com/stehelene. It has a tiny, pleasant courtyard with a pool, where continental breakfast is served. On our last visit, we stayed on the top floor in a suite, with a tiny balcony overlooking the courtyard. The location is close enough to Bourbon St. to enjoy the action, but far enough away to escape the hustle & bustle. While we've not stayed there, I've also been interested in the St. Ann/Marie Antoinette at 717 Rue Conti. Here's website: www.stannmarieantoinette.com.
Search the Fodor's site to see if there are comments on either of these properties. Have a good trip!