Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charlottesville or Waynesboro? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charlottesville-or-waynesboro-697452/)

don512 Apr 16th, 2007 01:06 PM

Charlottesville or Waynesboro?

We will be driving Skyline Drive from Front Royal, and are looking for a place to spend the night. We will start out on the Blueridge Parkway the next day. Is Charlottesville a little too far out of the way or would we be better off staying in Waynesboro?

lizhm4sale Apr 16th, 2007 04:21 PM

WAYNESBORO IS A GREAT LITTLE CITY TO STAY IN. THEY HAVE A GREAT PLACE TO FIND OUT OF THE ORDINARY FOODS. IT IS CALLED THE "CHEESE SHOP". THERE ARE SO MANY ANTIQUE SHOPS THERE AS WELL. THERE IS A LITTLE DEBBIE FACTORY AND A GREAT BAKERY IN TOWN. WE STAYED AT THE COMFORT INN AND IT WAS GREAT. WE TRAVEL UP THAT WAY 2 TIMES A YR., JUST TO ENJOY THE COOL MTNS AND THE GREAT FOOD.
GOOD LUCK

jumpinjess7 Apr 16th, 2007 04:58 PM

Charlottesville is a great little college town, although it is aobut 20 minutes away from Waynesboro (I think). Charlottesville has great restaurants, fun things to do and see, Monticello and the UVA campus is beautiful. If youre just looking for a place to stay Waynesboro is nice, but you can do more exploring in Charlottesville.

Go Hoos! :)

schlegal1 Apr 17th, 2007 08:09 AM

Lived in Waynesboro and work in C-ville. I vote for neither--stay in Staunton (about 10 min from W-boro).

C-ville is great but too out of the way unless you are going to spend a day there.

waynesboro is fine, I enjoyed living there but recommend Staunton for visitors(though I don't actually live in Staunton, either, now). Why?

w-boro has almost no good restaurant choices and little in the way of interest. They have done a terrible job revitalizing their downtown. The Cheese Shop is fun but not a reason to stop there.

Staunton has nice hotels, a variety of great restaurants, a few historical sights, a cute walkable downtown with shops that are open and interesting. They also have The Blackfriar's playhouse, which does Shakespeare productions every night.

If you're just looking for a place to sleep and move on, W-boro is fine since it's right on the Parkway but if you want to spend a bit of time somewhere, take a look at Staunton:
http://tinyurl.com/pve69

don512 Apr 18th, 2007 06:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. Seem to have gotten a vote for both Waynesboro and Charlottesville, with one for Staunton thrown in. What I am looking for is a place to stop after a day drive down Skyline Drive. Someplace to stay, with someplace nice to eat and maybe something to do also (not necessarily attractions). I guess any of these three might fit the bill. But which one would be the best?

tovarich Apr 18th, 2007 07:09 AM

Charlottesville.Dont forget to visit Monticello-Ashlawn and Macie tavern.You can get a conbination ticket.Paul

Dick Apr 18th, 2007 07:20 AM

If you do decide on Waynesboro...consider the Iris Inn

http://irisinn.com/

PatD Apr 18th, 2007 07:39 AM

We drive the entire Skyline and Blue Ridge parkway every year. We usually spend at least one night in Charlottesville, sometimes two. We love the Courthouse Square Inn B&B, a block from the outside pedestrian mall with lots of restaurants, shops, etc. Visiting Monticello is a must, or just walking the campus of UVA is beautiful. The city is lovely, the countryside is so beautiful and they have some great restaurants, art galleries, etc. There are several wineries that produce surprisingly good wine and have tasting rooms as well. The other two towns mentioned are small, we have never opted to stay there as Charlottesville has to much to offer. It about a 30 minute drive from the Skyline on the interstate, not bad.

schlegal1 Apr 18th, 2007 12:04 PM

If its really just a place to stay, Wanyesboro is fine. I wouldn't drive an hour (half hour there and back) just to go to Charlottesville if you aren't looking for attractions.

You can find a place in Waynesboro to eat for the night and get right on the Parkway in the morning. They have many chains-Shoneys, Fast Food, etc but places I would check out to eat are:
-El Puerto (local chain - good and cheap Mexican food)
-The Purple Foot (sandwiches and a wine shop)
-Chickpeas (sandwiches, pizzas, etc--very cute)
-Lynn's (for breakfast--not sure how their dinner is)

Though honestly, even when we lived there, we went out to eat in Staunton. None of the above named places, even though I like them, are going to "wow" you but it doesn't sound like you are looking to be wowed--just looking for convenience and these fit the bill.

Weespxx May 7th, 2007 06:29 PM

Just wanted to add my $.02 - I studied in and my company is based in Charlottesville. I have good friends living in both W'boro and Staunton. C'ville is great - the Downtown Mall area is wonderful = lot of non-chain restaurants. UVA is gorgeous and deserves a stop (I'm a Hoo). Monticello is not-to-be-missed and check out the view from Carter's Mountain peach/apple grove. W'boro has little to nothing except a location near the Drive. I was not impressed when I stayed with one of my friends there. Staunton is suppposed to be a very cool little mountain town - with galleries, restaurants, etc. A small college town. Good luck!