Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charlottesville, Newport news or Chesapeake Bay

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Husband and i are planning a short weekend away...want a place that is not SUPER touristy, calm, would go see some historic sites etc.

I've heard great things about charlottesville...we also wanted to consider something near the water..are newport news/chesapeake bay good choices?

What could we do there? places to stay?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM
GoTravel

Chesapeake Bay is a big area. Which part?

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Charlottesville is lovely. Monticello, and UVA have wonderful history. There is cute shopping and dining on the downtown pedestrian mall and you are only a short drive from some beautiful hiking or scenic driving.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Most of the places ON Chesapeake Bay that I can think of in the Norfolk area are higher priced "resort" type places. Two exceptions are a Super 8 on old Rt 60 in the Oceanview section and a Days Inn at the end of Willoughby Spit, near the Hampton Roads Tunnel. On the Hampton side there used to be an inn called "Strawberry Banks" - I can't comment in any way on it.
The Days Inn looks decent and is alongside a marina. The Super8 was originally a Holiday Inn back in the 70's and has been affilated with several chains since. There is a Radisson in Hampton on the water, but not on the Bay itself, but near an Air/space museum, marina, restored Carousel, and some old shopping areas.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Charlottesville gets my vote, assuming you're talking about the near future. I'd avoid any places on the water until at least May. Generally speaking, warmer weather comes later to the coast.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would go to Charlottesville also. It is a quaint town with the college. Like the above poster said, you can visit Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home. This is a very nice historic area.The Blue Ridge Mountains are beautiful this time of year.
Boars Head Inn is a cute place to stay in Charlottesville. The Keswick is east of Charlottesville, but very VERY nice.
You can go to Colonial Williamsburg and tour around there. I would stay at the Williamsburg Inn. There are many historical things to see and do there.
The Chesepeake bay area would be quiet this time of year. There is a Hyatt on the water there. I have not been, but it looks nice. In the summer, or at least later in May, there is the eastern shore of VA and that has the wild ponies. I am not sure where to stay over there.
Sorry, rereading your post, Williamsburg is pretty touristy. My vote goes to Charlottesville. If you can wait till mid april(after the Easter holidays), the flowers will be blooming everywhere. You can also plan to go late April and visit the Richmond area and see the Home and Garden show. It takes place in different areas of Richmond and has historic homes (that are occupied), open for touring with all of their gardens on display. This is a great way to see some of the nicest homes in Richmond.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the response. I'm gong to post another thread on annapolis, it seems to be the only other decent option on the coast but i'm really leaning towards c'ville.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Ok, I'm from Virginia Beach and went to school in Charlottesville, until summer I would have to say Cville, it's so pretty there and lots to see, lots of history and vineyards, beautiful this time of year and so green (I'm in Phoenix now, so brown and dry Lots of great B & B's and little hotels and great food. The Chesapeake Bay is my home and I love it. It's not very touristy at all until after Memorial Day but not warm yet either except lucky random days.

However, when you mentioned Annapolis, all my recs went out the door, I went there for a wedding last April and fell in love. It is so beautiful and peaceful there, I loved it and can't wait to spend more time there. I'm a water baby though so I prefer to be by the water. I'm not the best resource for the area but it does get my vote! Have fun!