Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charlottesville area for a car-less visitor? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charlottesville-area-for-a-car-less-visitor-1674352/)

Daniel_Williams Nov 22nd, 2019 12:31 PM

Charlottesville area for a car-less visitor?

Hi all,

My brother went to UVA in Charlottesville ages ago. It’s been over 25 years since I’ve been so I’m looking forward to seeing the area again & meeting up with some friends in Charlottesville I’ve not seen in moons. I always stayed before at my brother’s frat house (in the 90s) and hung out with friends at UVA, so really don’t know the city itself very well. I am curious now that if one wanted to stay in an area with amenities (such as cafes, sights, restaurants) and a bit of street life in late December, is the “downtown” area near the train & bus station the main (only) option? I won’t have a car but can use Lyft, Uber, etc... I plan on arriving by train late December.

thanks Daniel

starrs Nov 22nd, 2019 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel_Williams (Post 17020159)
Hi all,

My brother went to UVA in Charlottesville ages ago. It’s been over 25 years since I’ve been so I’m looking forward to seeing the area again & meeting up with some friends in Charlottesville I’ve not seen in moons. I always stayed before at my brother’s frat house (in the 90s) and hung out with friends at UVA, so really don’t know the city itself very well. I am curious now that if one wanted to stay in an area with amenities (such as cafes, sights, restaurants) and a bit of street life in late December, is the “downtown” area near the train & bus station the main (only) option? I won’t have a car but can use Lyft, Uber, etc... I plan on arriving by train late December.

thanks Daniel

It's one of the prettiest areas I know of and there's so much to see within an hour or so, but without a car I'm not sure how. It's predominantly rural so public transportation is slim to none. It's not big enough to have a lot of Grayline style day trips. You always seem to manage though. I look forward to your trip report. Sorry I can't be of any help.

I met up with Cimbrone last year and we had a lovely dinner downtown. I'll let him know about this thread, although I don't know if he's even still registered on Fodors.

Vttraveler Nov 22nd, 2019 01:27 PM

My husband and I recently spent a day/overnight in Charlottesville with some friends. We had a car and went first to Monticello then to the area called "The Corner" at the edge of the UVA campus. There are many restaurants in the area and once we got to the hotel we parked and walked to dinner and to tour the UVA Rotunda and lawn area the next morning.
We were there on a Tuesday and many of the restaurants were quite busy
There is a free "trolley" that goes past the Amtrak station to the Corner and onto the campus.
https://www.charlottesville.org/depa...rolley-08-2018

I think you would have to take uber or lyft to get to Monticello without a car but there may be options I don't know about.

Daniel_Williams Nov 22nd, 2019 04:03 PM

Starrs/vttraveler. Thanks so much for your response.

That trolley looks like a great option. Much of my time in Charlottesville I’ll be visiting with old friends but I might have a meal or three on my own so somewhere on the trolley line like the Corner or downtown look good. Looking forward to seeing UVA after all these years and maybe Monticello if time permits.

Indeed it is a gorgeous region!

Vttraveler Nov 23rd, 2019 04:14 AM

We stayed at and liked The Graduate Hotel on West Main Street.
We had dinner at Maya, recommended by the woman at the front desk. On Tuesday nights they have dinner specials for $12, an amazing deal. Good "southern cooking " and a good bar.

Daniel_Williams Nov 24th, 2019 04:19 AM

Thanks again vttraveller!

Maya sounds terrific and I’m considering the Graduate Hotel!

Best wishes, Daniel

tomfuller Nov 24th, 2019 08:07 AM

Isn't there an Enterprise location near enough to the train station? Most of my car rentals are with Enterprise since they pick you up and sometimes take you back to the train station/airport when you turn in the car.
I like getting Amtrak Guest Rewards points on my car rentals. Next year it is time to take another Amtrak trip or 2.
My travel style for the past 15+ years has been to take a train and then rent a car for a large loop and then returning home by train. It works for me and sometimes my wife. I've seen many great things from Amtrak trains that I never would have seen if I was looking at the road ahead of me while driving.
Enjoy your trip Daniel.

starrs Nov 24th, 2019 09:15 AM

I checked with Cimbrone but he no longer posts over here. He did say to relay to you that you will need a car to explore outside of C'ville.. I know you don't drive so Uber or a car service may be your best bet to go to Monticello, etc.

We drove in and parked at a garage and then strolled the Downtown Mall for a while. Loved it! Beautiful area with lots of shops, restaurants, etc. I would choose a hotel in walking distance. It was a great afternoon in C'ville. Have a nice visit back with your friends.https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...7e93d19ace.jpg
We ate at the Fitzroy on the Downtown Mall

Daniel_Williams Nov 24th, 2019 10:01 AM

Tomfuller—I look forward to riding Amtrak again over the holidays although unfortunately no sleeper cars this break. Starrs—Thanks for the suggestion to be by the downtown mall and the restaurant recommendation; I am leaning toward there or the Corner.

jamie99 Nov 24th, 2019 11:55 AM

My late husband was from Virginia and a UVA graduate. Whenever we visited his parents and C'Ville, we always had lunch at The Virginian. Food is good and reasonably priced with terrific ambiance and people watching. Right across the street from the grounds.

Daniel_Williams Nov 25th, 2019 05:31 AM

Thanks Jamie and Starrs for the additional restaurant suggestions; the Virginian and the Fitzroy have been duly noted. I’m really looking forward now to discovering 21st century Charlottesville!