Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   CHARLOTTE TIPS PLS! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charlotte-tips-pls-423910/)

londongal Apr 19th, 2004 09:04 AM

CHARLOTTE TIPS PLS!

Hi everybody, I'm heading off to Charlotte shortly and was wondering if I could get some hotel recommendations? My husband and I haven't had a hotel for a while so we'd really like to stay somewhere nice. My travel agent recommended the Omni Charlotte but I've read condemning reports online. Any tips?? Thanks!

Brian_in_Charlotte Apr 19th, 2004 10:29 AM

Look into the Dunhill Hotel. A European boutique-type right in the heart of the Uptown action.

Dan Apr 19th, 2004 11:11 AM

I have stayed at both the Omni and Westin. Both are nice but I preferred Westin. However, you can't go wrong with either.

londongal Apr 20th, 2004 01:06 AM

thanks for the responses! Dan, how recently did you stay at either the Omni or the Westin? Also, are cabs readily available?

Gretchen Apr 20th, 2004 03:38 AM

The Omni is brand spanking new--open less than a year. Come back if you want restaurant recs. The Park Hotel at SouthPark (a large and upscale mall 15 minutes from downtown) is probably the nicest hotel in town. the Dunhill is also truly lovely.

londongal Apr 20th, 2004 03:55 AM

Hey gretchen, thanks for the info! My husband is attending a convention at the Adam's Mark so I guess the Omni would be more convenient than the Park? Any restaurant recs would be great! Also, are cabs readily available? Thanks!

londongal Apr 20th, 2004 04:04 AM

Gretchen, is there by any chance more than one omni charlotte?? I just read a couple of reviews on tripadvisor (one was written in march 2003 and the other in march 2004) and they talked about a terrible experience with peeling wallpaper and a desparate need of updating. does this gel with your experience??

Brian_in_Charlotte Apr 20th, 2004 05:23 AM

I think Gretchen meant to say that the Westin is brand new - it's quite striking, but is on the quieter side of downtown. The much older Omni is closer (by a few blocks) to restaurants/nightlife. Neither is particularly close to the Adam's Mark (at which I wouldn't recommend staying) - a 10 block walk. Cabs aren't plentiful, but your hotel bellman should be able to get you one.

For restaurants, Sonoma is very good (pricey) for dinner and Brixx Pizza is great for a casual meal, lunch or dinner. Palomino is also good and Blue has been strongly recommended as a good place to splurge. Ri-Ra is a decent recreation of an Irish Pub that always seems busy and Connelly's (sp?) is a great, but sometimes smokey, neighborhood bar. Afraid I haven't been here long enough to get to more places uptown - there are many more.

londongal Apr 20th, 2004 05:51 AM

Thanks Brian! I don't mind having to catch a cab to the Adam's mark if the westin is a much nicer property. we have to stay 3 nights so I just don't want to be miserable!

Brian_in_Charlotte Apr 20th, 2004 05:59 AM

You wouldn't have to catch a cab if the weather's nice and you don't mind a pleasant stroll

Gretchen Apr 20th, 2004 06:11 AM

Yes, I meant the Westin--missed that entirely. I haven't ever stayed in any of our hotels so can't speak to that. DO go to Blue--it is just wonderful. Mediterranean but not just "the south of France and Spain"--the entire Mediterranean--Greece, Egyptian, etc. Our favorite restaurant is Patou--it's in a neighborhood so you'll need a cab--TRUE French bistro. Mimosa Grill never fails to please. Haven't eaten at Luce yet but it is apparently VERY good Italian--in the Hearst Tower where Blue is. Also in the Hearst Tower is an excellent gallery--WDO. Museum of the New South and Mint Museum of Craft+Design are VERY worth a look as is the lobby of the Bank of America Headquarters for Ben Long frescoes.