What must we see and do in Montana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Montana this summer and want to take as many scenic drives as possible. What do you suggest? We like the outdoors, but at our age we favor easy walks to hikes...and we prefer motel rooms to camping out.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM

For drives there is the beartooth highway from billings to yellowstone. The drive from missoula to glacier national park is nice around flathead lake. The drive through glacier is a must and spend some time in missoula and bozeman.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park is a must do. The Flathead Lake area is very scenic as well. If you are into wildlife, you might want to head to the National Bison Range in Ronan; much more than just bison.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 10:27 AM

We drove from Bozeman through the Gallatin Canyon down to Yellowstone, and thought it was just terrific. However, some folks may have better ideas than that, but the state is gorgeous!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Beartooth Hwy (from northeast entrance of Yellowstone to Red Lodge, MT) is my #1 with Going to the Sun Rd cutting through the middle of Glacier N.P. is a VERY close #2.

The Gallatin canyon from Bozeman to Yellowstone is the prettiest drive into Yellowstone, by far.

On the east side of Flathead Lake (I haven't been on the west side) there is one cherry gove after another. They sell cherries in road side stands but some let you pick your own. We actually had a lot of fun doing that and the cherries were fabulous. This was mid-July.

BTW, you want to wait until July to go because the scenic drives don't usually open until then because of snow pack.

Fishing is also better from mid-July on because the rivers have had a chance to calm down from the snow melt.

Bozeman has a great downtown to visit. Go in the Powder Horn sporting goodsstore--more stuffed animals (real) displayed than you'll see in any museum.

The Pickle Barrel has great deli sandwiches.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM

I agree the pickel barrel is awesome- all the posters are correct you have a lot to choose from
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:35 PM

The Bison Reserve is wonderful. I highly recommend it.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:32 PM

Recommended for your trip. My family and I loved these items ( in no oder)
1) Glacier Park- main road and back roads and hikes. Stay at the Park Lodges if at all possible ( at least one night).
2) Great Falls- Lewis and Clark Center, Charles Russell home and center, the springs and the river.
3)Helena- The Capitol is great! The Russell painting is wonderful, the state historical society is a don't miss, downtown Helena, the train ride, Gates of Missouri river ride is really good (North of Helena).
4) we enjoyed these little towns- Deer Lodge ( old prison), Virgina City, Bannack, Jackson, Big Hole National Site.
5) The Hot Springs west of Butte and near Anacanda ( which we really liked in our winter visit).
6) The Bison Park is a good stop if traveling 93 north to Whitefish/ Glacier. Also stop at St. Inguasis (spelling ?) along 93 and visit the church.
7) The Swan Valley and Swan river is good if you like outdoor things ( we spent several days there on one of our summer trips to Montana).
8) Bigfork is a nice place to stop, shop, dine and visit.
9) Bozeman is a great town to stay, dine and base out of for a couple of days. Good outdoors shops intown.
Summary- We like it in both summer and winter. In fact we are returning to Montana this winter of 2004-05 to visit Big Sky and Yellowstone in the winter. BTW, Missoula is ok for a visit but it was not favored by any in our family other than you should visit the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation center in Missoula.
Have fun and travel safe.
From High in the East Tennessee Mountains, May God Bless.