Reload this Page >

Charlotte, N. Carolina

Search

Charlotte, N. Carolina

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 04:20 PM
lynne

Charlotte, N. Carolina

I will be visiting Charlotte North Carolina the end of October for approximately 6 days and I'd like some advice.

1) I'm looking for a hotel within walking distance of the conference centre which would be appropriate for women to stay at (safe!).

2) what things should we do/see while in Charlotte

3) where should we go shopping

4) any restaurant/bar recommendations

Thanks very much in advance!

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 03:13 PM
lynne

I'm bringing this to the top in the hope that someone might help?

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 05:36 PM
Bob Brown

My son lived in Charlotte for 6.5 years.
The hotel situation downtown is one I don't know well because we always stayed at the Mariott Courtyard near South Park Mall. But any of the major downtown hotels are up to normal major city standards, or so I have been told. South Park Mall is quite large and provides good shopping opportunities. I have wandered around it several times. To me a mall is a mall and South Park is one of the more pleasent ones.
The Mint Museum is a nice place to visit. Usually there is something of interest on display there. Sorry, I can't direct you to any bars.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 05:55 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I would probably avoid the Adam's Mark downtown. It's below normal standards.

I haven't been back in a while, but the bars/restaurants in the Myers Park area were the best. Try the Cajun Queen restaurant on either 3rd or 4th Ave.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 10:37 AM
Jill

I have lived in Charlotte all of my life and because of that have not really had too many opportunities to stay in hotels. But there are all of the major hotels here downtown. There is the Hilton which is on E 3rd Street, The Holiday inn on North College street and I think there is a Marriott down there too. These are all downtown, hope that helps. Depending on what you are shopping for, Southpark is the nicest mall in town. There are all kinds of little shops in Southend and Dilworth which is South Blvd and East Blvd. These are more specialty type shops. Cajun Queen is an excellent suggestion but it is actually on 7th street no 3rd or 4th. Mimosa Grill is downtown and is really good. I have heard rave reviews on a new restaraunt in town called Palomino and it supposedly has a neat bar too. If you drive to South Blvd which is not too far, you could go to Pewter Rose, that is really a unique place as well. Wherever you stay will have someone who knows where all of the restaraunts are. We have a Rock Bottom brewery downtown as well as several other bars in that area such as Atlantic Beer and Ice. Discovery Place is a neat place to visit if you are in to scientific type things. E mail me if you need more info and have fun in my home town!

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 05:02 PM
lynne

Thanks for the help!

How is the public transit system? Will we be able get around town easily by bus?

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 10:56 AM
laura

I live in Charlotte, too. When we were apt hunting, we always stayed in the Marriott right in town. It's reasonable and very comfortable. The Hilton is the closest hotel to the conference center, I believe. It's very nice, but I don't know about price.

Charlotte is a safe place, too--no worries, except maybe if you are alone at night, just like anywhere else.

SouthPark Mall is THE place to shop--Phillips Place is very upscale--good people watching.

Public transportation is either buses or taxis. I don't like either, but would lean more towards taxis.

South End Brewery, on South Blvd. is a good place to eat. Carpe Diem, in the downtown area, gets rave reviews. Ri Ra is a very nice Irish pub. Also in the downtown area is Discovery Place, with an IMAX theatre.

I would pick up a newspaper when you arrive...there's usually some bands or special events listed.

Enjoy!

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 04:51 PM
lynne

Thanks again for the info.

How about discount or outlet shopping? Is there any in the area? egass shoes?

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 11:58 AM
lynne

Hi! We're having trouble booking a hotel near the convention centre - they're all booked.
Does anyone have any recommendations for something that might not be on our list like a Bed and Breakfast or small hotel that would be within walking distance?
Thanks!

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 03:15 PM
lynne

Well..the hotel is booked - we're staying at the Hilton.
Any last minute advice? Anything special we should do between the 29th of Oct and 4th of Nov?
Also how is the weather?
Thanks again!
Lynne