Irma and fodorites in the path

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Take care, we in central Fl are just waiting and hoping. I am a little concern for my KW people. Many are having problems getting out. Not everyone has a car, flights are being cancelled and there are zero rentals left. They are hoping a big bus comes and gets them. I was on 95 today and there were many packed cars heading north. We would leave as soon as we can figure out where. This is a big storm. Stay safe and so sorry for all the cruise and travel plans that are gone now.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Current advice is, have enough food, water and medication (especially prescriptions!) for 3 days of remaining in your home, and have a plan of where to go if evacuation becomes necessary.

We saw people with carts full of enough food for weeks, surely. People are panicking and over-buying, IMO.

We're still not sure if we'll stay or go. Will be watching the forecasts!
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 02:38 PM

Btw, check out this website for aviation weather forecasts:
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=27.9;-82...&t=20170910/21
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 03:49 AM

Great link! We live in SC so it's good to note what's ahead for us. Thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Newbe, looking at that link I think early Saturday should be my exit plan. My husband went and picked up sandbags from the county.

I have no clue what they are doing over at the parks. I don't like any of the paths this storm is taking. I don't think any of the cruise ships will be in any of the Fl ports except for Jax. Big hit to tourist for sure.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 07:33 AM

Well, now other models are beginning to agree with the Ventusky path that Irma will go easterly, with the caveat that it will be hard to tell anything for sure until after she crosses Cuba. What to do, what to do...
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I know!!! We are ready but thinking about my friend's house in Orlando right now. A wonderful fodorite offered me a place to stay also. Gas is the issue. Our pumps are dry. I hope I have enough for work and getting to Orlando now. I might have to drain a gas can. Go east, way east please. Right now it is exiting below us on one model.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 03:37 PM

It is 100 miles wide with those winds. Please batten down or leave!! Our beach place is predicted to have 7-14 foot waves (between MB and Georgetown). There goes more of our dune (lucky to have a double dune as it is). Matthew did an incredible damage and this might be the similar path with more strength.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 08:00 PM

The issue with leaving is where to go--both in the sense of which direction and how to find a hotel room. Our original reservation is now more in Irma's path than our home! And everything NW of us appears to be booked solid. Nearest friends with whom we and our pets could stay are 13 hours away, and also potentially in Irma's path. Leaning towards staying at this point, and are well prepared to do so, we think. But car is gassed up and we are ready to go, too.

Sigh. Good luck, all!
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 02:12 AM

Hope all of you are in a safe place. If you need to leave, get going. If you decide to stay, be prepared, plenty of water, shelf stable food, etc.

I'm hoping it goes out to sea soon so I don't have to put up my sea door and put away all the outside furniture. We'll be watching closely.

Best wishes to all.
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 06:21 AM

Our barrier island near Charleston will be closed as of Saturday, so we're headed to Washington DC to visit museums for a few days.

Florida fodorites--please be safe if you stay!
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 06:25 PM

Frightened in South Florida. We have airline tickets for a month long trip to the Balkans leaving from Miami this Tuesday. Things are looking dismal. Just praying that we are all safe and homes remain intact. Looks like trip will either be delayed or cancelled.
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 10:36 PM

I hope you are all safe too! And here's hoping everything turns out well. Sending good luck your way. Kathy
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

I am leaving after a shower. I have the storm shutters on. Hotel in Perry tonight and a WONDERFUL fodor friend has given me a place to stay. I have back roads on my GPS to avoid traffic I hope and a tank of gas. Stay safe.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 07:17 AM

Yes, stay safe marcross!
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:29 PM

Feeling grateful in Boca Raton. For the first time in 42 years I was truly frightened about a hurricane. Now I will be even more grateful if my flight to the Balkans departs from Miami tomorrow afternoon. Worried as it is reported that most terminals are closed due to flooding.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM

Kathleen

Which island?

We have spent many enjoyable weeks on Edisto which seems to have been hit again. Just recovering after the last time.

So sad, for such a magical place.

Some beach front owners are posting that they wonder where they should go on from here.

Understand, East Bay flooded in Charleston. Terrible news.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 03:07 PM

Hi CALICOS
We are in Charlotte and only monitoring Charleston and there is flooding there tonight.
I think it is the surge again that has hit there. LOTS of rain and wind. the problem is the northeast quadrant of a storm of this magnitude, now 400 miles in diameter! We are getting it in Charlotte-and also wondering about OUR beach place in Pawley's, half way between Myrtle and Charleston.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Good luck Gretchen!

How does your place on Pawleys usually fare?

I know our favourite place in Edisto can cope with 10ft floods. Some on the beach front may have to give up soon. They have pit so much into erosion abatement systems and beach replenishment.

It's easy to blame current changing environmental factors but if you walk on the beach down there you can still find pottery from Eddingsville Village which was washed away in 1885.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't you hear? It's "insensitive" to even suggest there might be a climate change factor to all of this even if it is an "easy" thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -