Charleston -trip report

Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Charleston -trip report

While Charleston is a lovely city, well worth visiting we want to warn you not to believe the wonderful photographs and advertising on the Phoebe Pemberhouse website. Six of us travelled together and all of us agreed that this B &B was the worst we had ever stayed in. They charged the other two couples double the $840 quoted for 3 nights in their carriage house. We concluded in hindsight that this was not a "misunderstanding" as we had nothing in writing notwithstanding several corrections. Our folly. Make sure you get a written quote.

For the room my husband and I stayed in we
paid $ 655 for 3 nights and we most certainly were dissatisfied with both the accomodation and the so-called breakfast.
The sheets on our beds were dingy, wrinkled and so threadbare that they were almost transparent. The blanket under the cover was no better and I, frankly was scared to look under the sheets to see why the bed was so lumpy. What an uncomfortable stay, but they had our money in advance so we had no choice.
The lamp beside our bed was actually in tatters and the room was so cramped that they stuck a small TV on a wobbly table in the corner that we had to pull out to watch a grainy picture in bed. The carriage house
that looked so grand on their website was dirty and ill-kept. It had a kitchen with a fridge that didn't work, no cutlery etc. even if you did want to cook on a stove and microwave that were filthy. My sister said that even the shower door was broken.

They served cheap Costco type muffins and/or croissants ( not enough to even go around and one day were stale). You will notice on their website the lovely dining room. That must have been in their house, as
we were offered the option to eat outside on garden tables or have the food delivered to our rooms.

The pictures on their website are of their residence not the rooms in the annex which they rent out. We left feeling very ripped off and will never return. It was obvious that they couldn't care less about the comfort of their guests and, in fact, we had a hard time even contacting them to complain. Stay away from this place.
Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your stay. I don't know anything about this place but why you didn't have written confirmation? <we had nothing in writing>
Maybe you should post this review on Trip Advisor if this is how Phoebe Pemberhouse really looks. Did you check reviews on trip advisor or did you ask about this place on this forum before you committed yourself to it?
Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM

I looked at the reviews on trip advisor and they are not good! It might be worth a try to take up the double charging issue with your credit card company and use the rates advertised on their website for backup.

Search this Thread