Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston to DC drive time (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-to-dc-drive-time-114408/)

Syl Mar 24th, 2001 08:08 AM

Charleston to DC drive time

Planning to fly into DC and renting a car to drive to Charleston for about 3 days, then return for DC for 4 days. If we arrive at National around 3pm on a Sunday, any idea what drive time/arrival time in Charleston will be? Guess I'd have to take I95 all the way? Also, I'm worried about feasibility of wheelchair accessibility for my elderly mom while touring historic district in Charleston? Any ideas? Thanks in advance to all.

Joy in VA Mar 24th, 2001 11:14 AM

Coming south on I-95 & approaching Richmond (2 hours south of DC), BE SURE to take I-295 east (or is it south?) - the sign will say Miami/ Virginia Beach / North Carolina. There is MAJOR bridge work on I-95 downtown richmond & the interstate is down to one lane either direction in the evenings. It will probably continue until summer. I-295 Reconnects with I-95 south of Petersburg, VA. It will be minimum 4 hours to drive across VA to North Carolina line. You will have a LONG drive thru North Carolina - another 4 or 5 hours I think. Check a site like mapquest for driving directions / times. out of curiosity I did - you will probably get to Charleston around midnight if you drive straight thru, it is a bit over 500 miles.

Joy in VA Mar 24th, 2001 09:18 PM

It is I-295 SOUTH you will want to follow around Richmond VA. There are many restaurants around the Emporia exit, just before you hit NC - might be good place to stop for a break.

Ruth Mar 26th, 2001 08:03 AM

The last time we did the drive, the speed limit was 65 and it took us 10 hours--it's a long and not pleasant drive on 95. If your flight doesn't get in until 3 and then you have to get your rental car, it sounds like you'd arrive in Charleston in the early morning. You might want to stop along the road for the night. Any chance of flying from DC to Charleston and back?

dan woodlief Mar 26th, 2001 10:24 AM

I live in Durham, NC and went to both not too long ago. Durham to DC is about 4 hours, and Durham to Charleston is about 4.5 to 5 hours, so you are looking at around 9-10 hours driving at 70-75 miles per hour.

Syl Mar 29th, 2001 07:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the "reality check". It's back to the planning board for me.

Carol Mar 29th, 2001 09:16 PM

I live near Charleston, and wanted to address your concerns about your mother and a wheel chair. The market and Battery areas have very uneven, narrow sidewalks. My son is an x-ray tech at a local hospital and is full of stories of tourists falling down on the sidewalks. <BR> <BR>I would never want to turn ANYONE off to Charleston - there are many other beautiful areas that would be more wheelchair accessible, such as the plantations and gardens, boat rides, aquarium, etc. I haven't checked, but perhaps there are some of the tour busses that are handicapped accessible. <BR> <BR>Please check the site: <BR> <BR>www.charleston.net <BR> <BR>and read the Tips for Tourists section. Might have pertinent information. <BR> <BR>Good luck with your plans.