Charleston, SC Holocaust memorial

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while in Charleston, take a few minutes to see the simplest and yet most moving Holocaust Memorial I have ever seen (and due to my work, I've seen such memorials most everywhere in the world).

It's on Marion Square and consists of a list of survivors living in South Carolina and Charleston in particular. The display is a shock to one's soul, in my opinion.
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:05 PM

I've been to Charleston all of my life, but I didn't know they had a Holocaust Memorial site. That's amazing. I've been to Auschwitz, Poland twice, Stutgart, near Gdansk, Poland and to to Dachau at Munich, Germany twice. While it's a shock to see the horrors of the Holocaust, it's something that everyone should see to remind them of what can happen. I have a couple of videos on YouTube that I made at those memorial sites so those who can't go can still see some of the horrors of the events. I'm not Jewish, but this is every person's responsibility and it's a very serious one. Thanks for telling me about the site in Charleston. Next time I'm there, I'll go. I did find the link to it though.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...South_Carolina
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM

Correction: I meant Struthof near Gdansk, Poland.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Caroline..here are my own personal pics...the clump in the center is a replica of a prayer shawl worn by religious Jews..signifying the 6,000,000 Jews who died in the Holocaust. Because of my work (I'm a writer and a researcher), I have been to most of the major and some smaller K-Kamps in Europe. I have recited the Kaddish prayer at each one over so many years.
Stuart Tower

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...ntlyUpdated02#
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:42 AM

Thanks for sharing the photos. I'll take a look at them.

We go to a Memorial Site anytime we are near one and we have both read many, many books on the subject. It's incredible what they had to go through and IMO far too many people don't understand or fully appreciate the vastness of the horrors. There were also so many heros both Jewish and non-Jewish who tried in their own personal way to help alleviate some of the suffering. It really annoys me when I hear people say 'I couldn't take that' when discussing visiting the camp. That's taking the easy way out of acknowledging the misery IMO. We look at it as if they could endure the pain, then surely we can endure hearing about it.

The first time we were at Auschwitz/Birkenau it was late October and it began raining a cold rain. It was so cold that day and I kept thinking how cold it was but it was only raining, just think how much colder it was for them with few clothes, little heat and the cold and snow.

You have a really important mission in your work too. Thanks again.