Charleston, SC Anniversary Trip Ideas

Old Mar 31st, 2016, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Charleston, SC Anniversary Trip Ideas

Hello,

I am trying to plan a 10 year anniversary trip. We haven't been anywhere since our honeymoon, so I would like to make this trip very special. We are in our mid 30's and we enjoy history, good food, and taking in new experiences. This will be our first trip without our kids, so we would like to take in more adult adventures. We aren't into really crowded bars and we do not plan on golfing at all while there. I would like to have a nice mix of beach relaxation and history if that is possible. Also important- our anniversary is in late October, so that is when we plan to go.

In reading about Charleston, I discovered it has beauty, charm, history, warm weather in fall, and time to relax on the beach. The trip would be a short four day getaway in late October. Please help on things to do, best restaurants, places to stay, etc. I looked at the Kiawah Island Resort as a possible destination for a few days, but I am wondering if it would even be warm enough during that time to enjoy the beach. Is it possible to enjoy a relaxing beach type stay for two days and then immerse ourselves in the history and charm for two days? Would we need a car when we stay in Charleston? Any and all advice, tips, and insider info is so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance !
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, October in Charleston is a great time to visit but it is not exactly "beach/swimming" weather. Expect daytime temps in the high 60's F. to low-70's F. - it will be cooler the closer you get to November. Unless you are content with spending your time just walking on the beach I'd pass on Kiawah Island (or any of the other "Resort Communities"). Really, there's so much to see & do in Charleston that spending 1 or 2 full days on a beach in October seems like a waste of time. Instead stay in Charleston and, if you encounter a very nice/warm day you can drive to one of the nearby beaches for a few hours.

Google "Things to do in Charleston" and you'll find literally hundreds of links. there's no such thing as "The Top 10 things" in Charleston - it's more like "The Top 100 things" There are old plantations to explore, Tea farms, Distilleries, Civil War Era forts (Forts Sumpter and Moultrie), the Hunley exhibit, the USS Yorktown, the Market Square, nature tours, kayaking, museums, plus dozens upon dozens historical buildings and sites, just to name a few. You can take day trips to the historic town of Beaufort. The list goes on and on. For what it is worth, on our last visit to Charleston (it was 5 days in early June) we were so busy 'seeing things" we never found the time to go to the beach.

Same for restaurants - lots to choose from in all price ranges and many are spread out to the suburbs. Google "Charleston Restaurants" and start researching to your heart's content.

Lastly, I'm a firm believer in rental cars. With the exception of when visiting large cities like New York, Washington, D.c., Paris, Rome, etc. I always rent a car. I like the flexibility of being able to come/go as I please and not have to worry about transportation. Besides, lots of the interesting things to do and see around Charleston and not near or in the city center - you'll need transportation to to get to them.

Have fun, Charleston is a wonderful place for an anniversary trip.
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 06:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, and with the utmost respect, there are probably upwards of 200 posts/threads about Charleston on this board. You would not need to google, although that is fine also.
October on the southeast coast is probably the most beautiful time of year. Absolutely GORGEOUS beach walking, swimming in a heated pool, maybe not ocean body surfing.
Rent a car and so the plantations on your own. You can drive up the coast to Georgetown for a Revolutionary War coastal town and a nice lunch, if you wanted.
More to do in 4 days than you can possibly do.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Gretchen says, it’s easy to find threads on this board on Charleston and many folks find the combination of beach and city stay a wonderful way to experience the “lowcountry”. There are a couple of barrier islands immediately to the north and to the south of the city. You’ll have to decide whether to stay in the city and visit the beaches, or stay on one of the islands and visit the city. Either way works. October is a beautiful month to visit, and though it is still hurricane season in late Oct. the likelihood is not as great. Still keep that in mind when booking. I agree that renting a car is best for this type of stay.

We’ve had absolutely delicious, memorable meals at Peninsula Grill and McGrady’s. There are so many great places to eat in Charleston and everyone here has their favorites.