Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston SC: a place to raise a family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to findyourspot.com and Charleson was one of the choices that came up. I visited Charleston about 10 years ago when single and thought it was the most quaint, wonderful city I'd been to. I always thought living there would be wonderful. Now I have two young children and we are all looking for a town to lay down some roots in. Is this a place to do that? Where are the good schools? Are there any older, but quaint neighborhoods where you can get your foot in the door for around 400K and still be in a good school district? I have no idea about the cost of housing there. I would appreciate your comments about anything related to moving to Charleston.
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:30 AM

Hi vmcenroe, I was in Charleston in April and it sure is a beautiful city. Evidently though it gets very hot and humid in summer.

While you are waiting for experienced people to advise you on housing cost you could go to www.realtor.com and get some idea of housing availability and cost. Best wishes.
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:21 AM

I would consider it a pretty good place. You have the beach, the city and its cultural offerings, two colleges and their offerings.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM

I was raised in Charleston and it's a great place to grow up. There are many older, quiant neighborhoods where 400K will get you in, but it won't be in downtown Charleston, where the homes far exceed that cost. Unfortunately the Charleston school district is not highly regarded, and I can't really recommend any school that is considered particularly good. It's all about parenting, but that's another debate. Anyway, beautiful homes for 400K would be available in quaint, older areas of West Ashley and Mount Pleasant, both just minutes from downtown. I have to say that most people who can afford a 400k home send their children to area private schools, which are excellent, like Porter Gaud School in West Ashley (K-12), Mason Prep (K-6, and others.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:21 AM
GoTravel

No, no others have raised their families in or around Charleston.

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I would definitely look into Mt. Pleasant. It is a very busy but family oriented suburb of Charleston. The schools are OK but you also have a wider variety of private. Housing is booming there right now but you could find something for about 400k.

Ditto about realtor.com! It is a great place to grow up!