Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston/Savannah in March Trip Planning (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-savannah-in-march-trip-planning-965252/)

oscarandpenelope Feb 1st, 2013 09:12 AM

Charleston/Savannah in March Trip Planning

I just bought plane tickets this morning, flying nonstop in and out of Charleston in early March, with 5 full days for sightseeing (3 additional days for air and ground travel). Right now I am in early stage of planning and thinking to spend three days in Charleston, one day in Savannah, and one day at Hilton Head. I'm wondering if there are any half-day kayak tours on Hilton Head in early March?

palmettoprincess Feb 1st, 2013 09:21 AM

I'm sure there would be some kayak tours on HHI. Deweys Island near Charleston is another spot. You have a 75% chance of wonderful kayak weather but early March can still be cold and windy.

Personally I would include Beauford instead of HHI.

oscarandpenelope Feb 1st, 2013 10:16 AM

Haven't heard of Beauford before, so I will do more research about it. I am not interested in shopping, so it might be better alternative than Hilton Head. Thanks!

Gretchen Feb 1st, 2013 10:34 AM

Really don't bother with Hilton Head!! Lots of much better more attractive places. If you want to go to a beach for a day go to one near Charleston--Wild Dunes.
I think it is "Beaufort" which is between Savannah and Charleston.

oscarandpenelope Feb 1st, 2013 03:04 PM

How about Kiawah Island?

kathleen Feb 1st, 2013 04:32 PM

In my opinion, if you are trying to find a place for a day and a night at a beach located between Charleston and Savannah, then I would choose Beaufort not Kiawah Island. Kiawah is too close to Charleston to warrant a change of hotel. But it is a wonderful place and staying there for a night would be special. You would probably be staying at the Sanctuary since most private rental units don't rent for just one night. Bear in mind, the Sanctuary is expensive, though maybe not too bad in March. If you stay on Kiawah, the full length of the island's beaches would be available to you.

If you would choose Beaufort (a lovely small town) for the night then you could go to nearby Hunting Island State Park (a fantastic state park) for a day at the beach.

Another possibility would be to go to Hunting Island or Kiawah Island on your way to Savannah. Spend most of the day at the beach, then arrive in Savannah for two nights. There is one public county beach at the start of Kiawah Island. You would stay in Savannah for two nights.

A third possibility would be to go for a day at a beach near Charleston, for example Folly Beach or Sullivan's Island or even Kiawah and spend a long afternoon there. I guess it all depends on what you want from the beach section of your trip.

I think you can google kayak companies at whichever beach location you decide on and email or call them about rentals for March.

oscarandpenelope Mar 9th, 2013 08:59 PM

I just got back from my trip. I had some trouble finding a company that would do kayak tour for just one person, and it's still too early/cold in the year to be able to find an existing tour to join, even during the weekend. Finally I was able to join the blackwater swamp tour that runs at Middleton Place. It was such a unique experience and I enjoyed it very much.
I went to Kiawah Island public beach one morning and walked around.
Thank you all for your suggestions.