Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston restaurants - Poogan's Porch or 82 Queen (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-restaurants-poogans-porch-or-82-queen-833818/)

je Apr 1st, 2010 08:28 PM

Charleston restaurants - Poogan's Porch or 82 Queen

Wil be in Charleston later this month and trying to decide between Poogan"s and 82 Queen. Both are very good I've heard although Trip Advisor has some mixed reviews. Atmosphere not essential, well prepared food is.

Gretchen Apr 2nd, 2010 03:48 AM

SNOB, Hank's, Fig

go_laura Apr 2nd, 2010 04:30 AM

I haven't been to Poogan's Porch, but we were in Charleston a few weeks ago and had a wonderful meal at 82 Queen. There were 5 of us and we all enjoyed; also found it a very comfortable place to relax, linger and talk when we were finished eating. Quiet (well maybe except us!) and no-one rushing us at all.

bachslunch Apr 2nd, 2010 04:34 AM

Went to 82 Queen when I visited Charleston -- thought the she-crab soup was good but wasn't impressed with their shrimp and grits.

Did not get to Hank's or Fig, but did eat at SNOB (red bean soup, shrimp and grits, and spinach, all excellent) and will heartily second Gretchen's suggestion of this place. SNOB was in fact the best food experience I had in this city.

Digbydog Apr 2nd, 2010 04:36 AM

We just had Sunday brunch at Poogan's Porch. I thought it was very mediocre. Eggs arrived ice cold, and meal just wasn't very good, other than some delicious biscuits. This was our second poor experience there. I'm sorry we gave it another chance. We won't go back again.

BetsyinKY Apr 2nd, 2010 06:59 AM

No offense, but those are two of my least favorite Charleston area restaurants. I had a really bad experience with shrimp at 82 Queen and haven't been back since. I've eaten at Poogan's several times, but I would describe it as just "ok". There are so many restaurants with better food, that I haven't been back to either one in my past few trips to Charleston. I agree that Hank's, SNOB, and FIG are better choices. You might also check out Cru Cafe, or if you're searching for "low country" food, Hominy Grill or Virginia's on King.

LoveItaly Apr 2nd, 2010 10:14 AM

I ate at Poogan's Porch and it was all right and we had a lovely time but SNOB's is fantastic! Or at least it was the evening we ate there.

nobigdeal Apr 2nd, 2010 12:08 PM

Was in Charleston for a day trip about this time last year -- ate lunch at Poogan's Porch and dinner at SNOB. Agree with others that Poogan's Porch wasn't anything special, I was a bit disappointed. I very much enjoyed SNOB and highly recommend it. Next time I want to try FIG. Have fun!

nlg Apr 2nd, 2010 12:32 PM

We have eaten dinner and lunch at 82 Queen and enjoyed both meals-try to eat in the courtyard. Our favorite restaurant in Charleston is Hank's-you will love it.

suewoo Apr 2nd, 2010 03:44 PM

Poogan's is haunted so you might see the ghost! I agree with Gretchen, but I will say that 82 Queen has great she crab. And the outdoor seating is nice this beautiful time of year. Today left me absolutely breathless.

je Apr 4th, 2010 07:53 PM

Thanks to all. SNOB and Hank's have been reserved and trying to decide on where for our third night there.