Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-restaurants-284949/)

SouthernTraveler Feb 5th, 2003 06:18 AM

Charleston Restaurants

My husband and I are going to Charleston next weekend and staying in the historic district. Any suggestions on where to eat? We love seafood.

Packfan Feb 5th, 2003 08:18 AM

You have to try Hyman's seafood. We only go to go there for lunch-it was too crowded for dinner. <BR>Our lunch was great, and I would definitely go back again. <BR><BR>

kathleen Feb 5th, 2003 08:33 AM

Here's another vote for Hyman's seafood restaurant. They're located right in the historic district, a block or so north of the market. They serve a good selection of fish, prepared several different ways--you choose. Their hush puppies and fried green tomatoes are some of the best I've tasted.

Ferragamo Feb 5th, 2003 09:21 AM

Hello, I did not like Hyman's, too crowded and seafood smellng to me. Sorry! Peninsula Grill was outstanding! Ended up their over and over again. Have fun! It is a GREAT town. Kris

Litespeed_Chick Feb 5th, 2003 09:51 AM

Try Fish, McCradys, Garibaldis(get the crispy flounder), Hanks for seafood. Il Coritle de Re if you feel like &quot;authentic&quot; Italian. Hyman's is very casual, and I think OK for lunch, especially if you like your seafood fried. It is universally despised by locals. Poogan's porch for sunday brunch.<BR><BR>

loon14 Feb 5th, 2003 05:37 PM

Where did you stay and would you recomend it?

tcapp Feb 6th, 2003 08:40 AM

Try California Dreaming for your meal. It's very nice and is right on the water. Go early to get a nice table with a water view. They don't take reservations and the place becomes &quot;standing room only&quot; pretty quickly.

Brutforce Feb 6th, 2003 11:41 AM

My favorites are Carolina's &amp; The Peninsula Grill in the Planters Inn. Check the rants &amp; raves on here as well.

Katherine Feb 6th, 2003 11:55 AM

Skip Hymans...tourist trap. <BR>

Gretchen Feb 6th, 2003 12:32 PM

Hyman's is awful. Slightly North of Broad (SNOBS) is good. 82 Queen, Charleston Grill. You can go over to Mt.Pleasant and eat at one of the places on Shem Creek for informal seafood. Have heard great things about Peninsula.

mlc Feb 6th, 2003 01:02 PM

Myb wife and I went to Charleston two years ago and fell in love with it. We ate at a restaurant called 82 Queen, which became one of our all-time favorites. My wife doesn't care that much about restaurants, but she still raves about this one and would go back to Charleston just to eat there again. It was very romantic (we ate in a courtyard) and every course was yummy. Here's the link: www.82queen.com Enjoy!

Jon_Eric Feb 6th, 2003 04:29 PM

I go to Charleston and Savannah often and in Charleston the two places I find myself eating at more than once during each visit are Poogans Porch and 82 Queen. I've never had a bad meal in Charleston and I'm from New Orleans!<BR>I also enjoyed Carolinas, Charleston Chops, and Ansons.

travel3773 Feb 8th, 2003 02:50 PM

Out of all the places we dined, Anson's was the best. We also dined at SNOB but were disappointed overall with the experience. The appetizer there was wonderful but the rest of the meal was not as good.

WendyLeanne Feb 14th, 2003 10:03 AM

We visited Charleston several years ago. We had a wonderful meal at &quot;Charleston Chops&quot;. We would recommend this place to everyone!

andy Feb 14th, 2003 08:33 PM

We absolutely LOVE Ansons!! Fabulous food-ask for a table upstairs as it is way too noisy for conversation downstairs--<BR><BR>Also I LOVE Magnolias- ask for a table in the back room- it is way more elegant and romantic--<BR><BR>Great place to stay: The Elliott House Inn--

irmaly Mar 7th, 2003 04:26 PM

My two cents on Charleston restaurants:<BR><BR>We thoroughly enjoyed Jestine’s Kitchen on King Street for good and inexpensive soul food. We also finally found and tried out “The Wreck” in Mount Pleasant, an out-of-the-way place you can’t find without directions, and even with those it’s not an easy find. There’s no sign to let you know you’re there. Very good and fresh fish at a fairly reasonable price (be sure to try the fried green tomatoes). Seriously, make your way there--you won't be disappointed. We also ate at Gumbo Ya-Ya on King Street--cheap but not great. Our favorite was the Bookstore Cafe on King Street. This restaurant was truly wonderful, and is now open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Note--split a plate if you can--the portions are huge. This place had as good a food selection as any other place we visited. It was excellent. Alice’s Fine Foods, we were disappointed to find, is now closed.<BR>