Charleston Restaurant week Visit - Q's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to head to Charleston for 4- 5 days during restaurant Week in September. We will be there during the week, M - F most likely.

Aside from sampling restaurants, we are interested in Architecture; Gardens; Historic sites and getting a real feel for an area.

We hope to do the visit without a car. Is this possible/ practical?

I have been reading trip reports and other threads here for info. But we welcome suggestions on:

1. Places to stay that are centrally located. What areas would work? We would like either a smaller hotel with charm or B&B with a price point of $250 a night, IF that isn't to low. I know it is prime season on September.

2 Restaurants to visit that have participated in previous Restaurant Weeks that you recommend or others that are must do places. Any cuisine except Mexican or Indian.

3. We normally like to do walking tours - there are several listed here on Fodors. Any recommendations?

4. Attractions that would hit our list of likes?

Thanks for your suggestions~~
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'll only tell you what I know if you tell me about Montpellier.

We stayed at Andrew Pinkney Inn. Just above Broad and we had breakfast on the roof-top terrace outdoors. I would definitely stay there again.

We had dinner at Hanks and would also go again. We also ate at Fleet Landing. It was very good. More casual than Hanks.

I have a walking tour but I'll have to look for it.

Something to remember. There are no restaurants or snack places south of Broad. So if you're walking in the heat, bring water and snacks with.

I think this might have been the walking tour.
http://www.explorecharleston.net/Wal...h_of_Broad.php
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 03:38 PM

If charleston's restaurant wk is anything like Denver's, it can be hard to get reservations once the restaurants are announced. If you do get recommendations on restaurants that have participated in the past, try making reservations as soon as you can. If you find they aren't participating, you can always cancel. I've done that successfully the last several years here in Denver. Bon appetite!
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

[myer - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-report.cfm ]
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 02:06 AM

Hey DebitNM,

1. Prices fluctuate, so plug your dates into kayak.com and see what comes up in your price range. Pinckney is nice, as myer stated. Also consider Harborview, Vendue, Mills House, French Quarter Inn. There are many B&Bs. King George and 2 Meeting Street both get good reviews and I know people who agree. The weather in September is usually very nice, but it IS high hurricane season. Don't let it worry you-just get trip insurance and have a plan for where you'll go if you need to leave. We've had no mandatory evac since 1998.

2. Restaurants participating in RW will post menus later in the summer. Post back when you've had a chance to look at them if you need direction. Here's a link from last year to give you some ideas.
http://www.charlestonrestaurantassoc...staurant-week/

We went last time to Tristan, Anson and McCrady's. All were wonderful and the deals were great. The service was exceptional at all three. My favorite, FIG, never participates, but is worth a visit. They won't reserve farther than 30 days out. The new sister restaurant , the Ordinary is wonderful. It's in an old bank building. When we were there it was full of locals.

3. Ed Grimball, Michael Trouche, and Brown's Gullah tour are all great. You might want to do a carriage ride as well, to get your bearings.

4 The entire Historic District is full of your likes. You may not want to leave. I like Edmiston-Alston house but any of the open homes are worth seeing.

I hope you love it. It's hard not to. It WILL be hot, so prepare like myer said.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 03:27 AM

Yes you can navigate Charleston without a car. If you choose to drive out to a plantation you can rent one for a day. That is cheaper than renting for the whole time period and paying parking.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Great feedback! Thank you all.

I have found a room at Harborview for $199 and one at Indigo Inn for $139. Thoughts on those 2?
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:38 AM

I had a great time in Charleston without a car. I stayed at the Vendue Inn in the Historic District and had a delightful waterfront park practically at my doorstep, as well as easy walking access to the charm of Charleston's narrow cobblestone streets in the downtown peninsula. I had plenty of restaurants to choose from in my vicinity. Free buses were available to get me to the more northern Aiken-Rhett House, Visitor's Information Center, Manigault House and Fort Sumter Ferry. One could even walk to those more northerly sights if you like walking.

However, I must mention that I was there for only 2 days and if you want to do certain out of the way side trips, you may enjoy having a car.

By the way, The Vendue Inn was very charming, I'd recommend it. Have a fantastic trip in what I hope you'll find an amazing city! Daniel
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think the only issue without a car is visiting a couple of plantations.

We rented a car for one day to drive from Savannah to Charleston and stopped at plantations en route. Very worthwhile stops.

I have a trip report of the visit and you can read about the Charleston Heritage Passport. You can see photos at: www.travelwalks.com

A bit of the story. The passport includes visits to two plantations (they were excellent visits). The problem is that we had the car before we went to Charleston. I called, purchased the card over the phone (they mailed it) so we were able to start using it for the plantations before we actually entered Charleston.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 08:05 AM

Find out if the Harborview room has a harbor view. Some of them don't. If so, take that one. Both are well located.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

It is for the least expensive room at Harbourview, Sue, so I am guessing it is not a view room.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM

Then go with Indigo. That's a great price. But check out Vendue as well. Everybody loves it.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I see that Charleston Place is being recommended on another thread. Hotwire has a rate of $175 for what I believe is Charleston Place [based on Better Bidding criteria and posts]. VERY mixed reviews on Tripadvisor - conflicted about trying for it.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 10:15 AM

Charleston Place is gorgeous, but it's a big hotel. I never trust those TA reviews. Who knows if the writer is real, or a disgruntled employee? If you can get CP for that I say go for it.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 01:15 PM

I've had good stays at CP, but as mentioned above, it is a big hotel. Nothing really wrong with that, but doesn't have the feel of a "a smaller hotel with charm". For $139, I'd jump on the Indigo and spend the money saved in restaurants.

Opentable.com is very helpful in making restaurant reservations.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

The Meeting House for Standard Queen at $143 or Indigo Inn at $139 for Standard Queen??
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM

Recommend Brown's Gullah Tour. Very emotional and educational. Our favorite dining was Magnolia's. Can't tell you if it is on the agenda of restaurant week.

http://gullahtours.com/

http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress...sp?catID=20428
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM

We have always enjoyed the Meeting Street Inn - charming courtyard area, right across from the Market, used to serve a decent breakfast if you aren't interested in going 'out' for it...an old building with all the appropriate creaks and groans but definitely a fit for Charleston.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 04:24 PM

- we have enjoyed meals at SNOB, Husk, High Cotton - as well as the others already mentioned. If you need a BBQ fix there is also Sticky Fingers and/or Jim and Nicks. Go to the Penisula Grill (right across the street from the Meeting Street Inn) and get a piece of coconut cake to go. Premium!!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:24 AM

FYI, Sticky Fingers ain't real barbeque! : D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -