Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston Post-Christmas Holiday Planning Help, Please. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-post-christmas-holiday-planning-help-please-1673539/)

fourfortravel Nov 4th, 2019 05:44 AM

Charleston Post-Christmas Holiday Planning Help, Please.

The backstory. After all that...

DH and I took a break from unpacking and house-organizing on Saturday and thought a drive in the Smokey Mountains on a gorgeous autumn Saturday would be fun. Big mistake. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge were traffic hellscapes, and we started to think about what the scene might be at Christmastime.

Back at home on that afternoon we scrapped all plans to hang out in Knoxville post-Christmas and I booked the best-reviewed remaining airbnb that met our criteria (doggo-friendly, close to beach and main street) for 26 December-1 January in Folly Beach, SC.

Given that two days will be absorbed with driving from/to Knoxville, we will have five full days to enjoy a sample of Low Country. Thanks to the many suggestions on the aforementioned thread I can start hashing out an itinerary, but I have two early questions:

1. Where to go for a celebratory meal in either Charleston or Folly Beach, preferably where seafood and vegetarian (if not vegan) options will be available? All budgets are fair game; great atmosphere/setting should be a priority.
2. What would be your top two day outings during this week? Our group includes DH and myself; and the three adult "children," DD (18), DS, and DS's longtime GF (both 23). Our interests are varied and we enjoy just about everything we see and do.

Thank you, in advance.

MmePerdu Nov 4th, 2019 08:36 AM

Not 2, but several places I enjoyed very much in Charleston several years ago, some in town & some not far outside. I loved the Charleston Tea Plantation, being a particular interest of mine but realize it may not be for everyone. The rest are historic houses, another particular interest of mine.

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/por...harleston-sc-1

CaliforniaLady Nov 4th, 2019 08:11 PM

We enjoyed visiting Fort Moultrie. If you are a history buff, then it is fascinating. In addition, the views are great from there. I did not enjoy our visit to Fort Sumter as much, because the boat ride over seemed too crowded. On the same day we visited Fort Moultrie, we went to the Charles Pinckney National Historic Site. Pinckney was a signer of the Constitution, and his farm and historic house have been preserved. If you start early in the morning, you can do both on the same day, but you need a car.

I also found a self-guided walking tour online of Charleston, and we enjoyed that. The architecture in the city is amazing. We also enjoyed watching the sunset at the end of our walking tour.

fourfortravel Nov 5th, 2019 04:00 AM

MmePerdu, thank you for the blog link and the suggestion of the Tea Plantation. DS's GF and I are tea drinkers so I'm adding this to the list.

CaliforniaLady, thank you for describing your fort experiences. We'll have one car (and possibly two if we decide we want/need more space), so driving around won't be an issue. I've noted a couple of self-guided walking tours, as well. My camera and I are going to be very happy in Charleston!

Daniel_Williams Nov 5th, 2019 03:17 PM

Four to travel— Offering a differing opinion—I personally loved the day trip I did to Fort Sumter. That day the dolphins were playing in the river, doing loop-shaped jumps and followed the boat, which was just magical. Seeing the history of Fort Sumter first hand was fascinating to me and i thought the National Park Service did a great job. Not to mention that it’s in a beautiful setting where the Ashley and Cooper rivers meet the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe it depends on the day?

Like Mme Perdu, I enjoyed the historic homes and appreciated the pictures of the preserved Aiken-Rhett house as it brought back memories. (Thank you mmeperdu!) I would recommend both that home and the Nathaniel Russell Home (which has been restored) while in Charleston.

Best wishes,

Daniel

MmePerdu Nov 5th, 2019 05:44 PM

Daniel, the Aiken-Rhett House was by far my favorite of the ones I saw. It felt like going back in time rather than an approximation of history.

fourfortravel Nov 7th, 2019 04:55 AM

Daniel, thank you for noting dolphins along the boat ride. I would have thought that in December they would be further south but upon researching the matter, it appears that some of them don't leave. History and dolphins!

MmePerdu, I learned that the Tea Plantation is dog-friendly. Even better. I also noted Drayton Hall, the "oldest unrestored plantation house in America," and it, too, welcomes dogs.

denisea Dec 5th, 2019 01:47 PM

Seafood is easy to find all over Charleston. The best place IMO for a celebratory meal is Peninsula Grill. If you go, get the coconut cake for dessert! The Peninsula Grill is next to Planters Inn at Market St and Meeting St.

We enjoyed Middleton Place and I imagine there will be plenty of camellias in bloom then. Beaufort is not too far and a gorgeous little town. Magnolia Plantation or Brookwood Gardens would also be good choices. Shem Creek Park is a great spot to wander around before or after lunch at Tavern & Table, Nico or Saltwater Cowboys. Lots of floating boardwalks with views of shrimp boats and more...great stroll.

A fun outdoor lunch spot is Ellis Creek Fish Camp...sit outside for a view across the marshes...so pretty with good seafood.

mama_mia Dec 7th, 2019 07:09 AM

Magnolia Plantation has a light festival going on November through March. Twenty three lantern displays over 9 acres.
https://lightsofmagnolia.com/

For fancy dinners, I like Charleston Grill and Slightly North of Broad (SNOB). Also like Hank's Seafood. The Ordinary (seafood) also excellent. For Italian, there is Trattoria Lucca downtown, and Coda del Pesce (sister restaurant) on Isle of Palms. Coda del Pesce looks out on the ocean--surprisingly, there are not that many restaurants in the area with water views. Make sure to make reservations early for any restaurants.

If you are beer lovers, there is a cluster of craft breweries just north of where 17 crosses the peninsula. Most have outdoor seating, so if the weather is nice, you can bring your dog. On Folly, there is Lost Dog Cafe for breakfast, of course; definitely bring the pup.

I agree with the Fort Moultrie recommendation--it has historical significance from Revolutionary War to WWII. You can wander around Sullivan's Island afterwards and check out some of the former officer quarters--fantastic homes! Then have lunch on Sullivan's or at Shem Creek (I find the food better on Sullivan's but enjoy the views of the shrimp boats and creek on Shem Creek. There is a short nature/boardwalk there too.

Beaufort is lovely. There is a visitor's center where you can pick up a booklet for a self-guided walking tour You can see the exterior of the house from the Great Santini and the Big Chill.

Gretchen Dec 8th, 2019 02:56 AM

Tratorria Lucca is absolutely outstanding--a beautiful venue in an old indigo mill, GREAT service and unbelievably delicious Italian food--dare I say "authentic".

BritishCaicos Dec 8th, 2019 07:57 AM

If you like dolphins/wildlife then there’s a small ferry from Awendaw which is few miles up the 17 from Charleston. It goes out to Bull Island which is beautiful wild and full of life.

Much of Kiawah Island is private but the creek that leads into the sea at the south end has public access. It’s very unspoilt here and it’s one of the few places in the world where dolphins strand feed by chasing fish up onto the beach.

Just further south is Edisto Island which is very old school and fairly undeveloped. It has an a active historical society with sites to visit. At the North end of the island is Botany Bay Wildlife reserve which has been the location for various films.

https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/...ds-botany-bay/

stunning place for photography.

Beaufort is very atmospheric but is quite a drive.

fourfortravel Dec 10th, 2019 03:12 AM

Thank you, everyone, for these updates. I had put aside planning for this holiday for new house renovation matters, as well as a couple of short getaways and preparing for Christmas. But now it is time to refocus my attention.

We have decided to travel in two vehicles, with the "children" and DDog in DH's hybrid crossover and we "grown-ups" in my wagon. Not only will we all have more space, we can also avoid discussions over music playlists and lunch, and we'll be able to divide sightseeing based on interests.

Magnolia Plantation and its lights sound magnificent. One more for the list. Beaufort is now on the, "To Consider." Dolphins? Definitely! I am intrigued with Edisto Island, as I never leave home without my camera.

I will review all of the restaurant suggestions, thank you, everyone. We have one vegan in the group who swings vegetarian cheerfully, so restaurant selections take a bit of menu-review effort.

BritishCaicos Dec 10th, 2019 08:26 AM

“as I never leave home without my camera.”

Edisto is your place.

Its also fun to look for shells and fossilised sharks teeth, particularly after a storm.