Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston or Savannah or New Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-or-savannah-or-new-orleans-1669458/)

amyshirk0881 Jul 15th, 2019 10:49 AM

Charleston or Savannah or New Orleans

My boyfriend and I will have three full days to spend in a great southern city this October but I'm torn over which one to visit. Truthfully, I had Savannah in mind for months but when I found out recently they are the no. 1 U.S. exporter of shark fins (a horrific practice) I kind of lost my fervor for going there. I hate to paint an entire city with a single brush however so I put it back as a possibility but with some reservation. Anyway, we are both major foodies and visiting antebellum homes/plantations are on the to-do list as is a beach stop as we are from land-locked Indiana. Any suggestions on a particular city would be most welcome!

Daniel_Williams Jul 15th, 2019 11:49 AM

Hi,

All are great choices. I’d imagine 99% of people in Savannah have nothing to do with shark fins, so I hope you visit anyway one day. Given what you wrote and with a gun to my head, I’d suggest Charleston for the only reason that you can see ocean (or ocean adjacent) directly from the charming historic peninsula and going to Fort Sumter gets you out on the water. The others are a bit inland, although with delightful rivers. Food is phenomenal in all 3 cities; you really won’t go wrong whatever you decide.

Best wishes, Daniel

sf7307 Jul 15th, 2019 12:19 PM

All three are great for foodies, so that won’t help you rule anything out!

jamie99 Jul 15th, 2019 12:53 PM

I've only been to Savannah and New Orleans but NOLA has superb food but no real beach.

StuDudley Jul 15th, 2019 01:20 PM

We've been to New Orleans 3 times, Charleston 3 times, and Savanna once. We live in/near San Francisco. Our next 3 trips to great southern cities will all be to Charleston. We were there this past March. Focus on south of Broad. It's our second favorite city in the US.

Stu Dudley

Gretchen Jul 15th, 2019 02:44 PM

Great comments from Stu who has been EVERYwhere!! But Charleston is really just a great city--I think it is the most "European" of our cities for it's walkableness, and GREAT food.
I'm gonna look up that shark fin thing--sounds strange!! LOL

amyshirk0881 Jul 16th, 2019 07:32 AM

So you're number one favorite city is San Francisco I'm guessing. I love it too and want to get back sooner than later!

StuDudley Jul 16th, 2019 09:43 AM

Yep. But the farther away from Union Square I get - the more I enjoy San Francisco.

Stu Dudley

northfork280 Jul 16th, 2019 09:57 AM

My husband and I spent a long weekend in Charleston last month and loved it! I can't wait to return. Here is my trip report: https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...-city-1668241/

jmoyogi Jul 17th, 2019 08:37 AM

Having been to all three in recent years.....if you want to party, I'd go with NOLA. If you want a relaxing and enjoyable holiday, Savannah. More and more I'm finding Charleston too crowded and don't love it like I used to.

gmoney Jul 17th, 2019 09:55 AM

Been to all three. I really depends on what you are looking for. Savannah and New Orleans are among my favorite places. If you want true southern charm and enjoy relaxing strolls through beautiful squares with magnificent southern architecture pick Savannah (been there many times and have never seen, smelled, or heard anybody even utter the words "shark fin". ) If you want a more party atmosphere with great food, great music and great cocktails with a little southern charm thrown in I'd pick New Orleans. I would say Savannah is the southern belle while New Orleans is her grittier naughtier older brother.

williamscb13 Jul 18th, 2019 10:54 AM

We just went to Charleston to visit this spring and enjoyed it. The one thing my son wanted to do was search for fossils with Charleston Fossil Adventures. It looks so cool. We are going back to do it this fall perhaps. It looks like something you might enjoy too.