Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston or Savannah? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-or-savannah-1664099/)

modestobruce Feb 25th, 2019 10:18 AM

Charleston or Savannah?

looking at our upcoming trip itinerary, I’m considering removing one of these cities as it’s looking a bit too ambitious. We’re going late April for one week on a car trip starting in Atlanta. Which one should we keep-Charleston or savannah?
thank you.

cdnyul Feb 25th, 2019 10:33 AM

Why is it too ambitious?

joethebear Feb 25th, 2019 11:39 AM

I agree a week seems like a good amount of time to take in the highlights of each.

TDudette Feb 25th, 2019 11:47 AM

modestobruce, it depends on what you enjoy. For gorgeous homes, drives to plantations, amazing dining, I'd choose Charleston. For gorgeous homes, amazing dining, scads of art, and quirkiness, maybe Savannah. These are based on DH's and my Thanksgiving getaways. We were attracted to Savannah's quirkiness so I returned there to stay longer.

Other Fodorites, is it fair to write that Charleston is slightly more formal???

cdnyul Feb 25th, 2019 12:29 PM

Other Fodorites, is it fair to write that Charleston is slightly more formal???

I find them both equally gracious.

bachslunch Feb 25th, 2019 02:26 PM

A week should be easily enough for both cities. I saw everything I wanted in Savannah in two days and Charleston in three. You could add a day to each city if you want if you’re really a completist.

I don’t think you need to exclude one at all. See my post later in this thread with a detailed itinerary for both cities the time I went:

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...vannah-840139/

modestobruce Feb 25th, 2019 11:37 PM

I’m just concerned that we would be rushing too much if I stayed with the original itinerary (Atlanta > Charleston > Savannah > Macon > Atlanta). Basically, two days per location. By dropping Charleston or Savannah we would be more relaxed. So, keep both towns? My thought was to just do a day trip from Savannah to Charleston (or, vice versa).

bachslunch Feb 26th, 2019 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by modestobruce (Post 16879207)
I’m just concerned that we would be rushing too much if I stayed with the original itinerary (Atlanta > Charleston > Savannah > Macon > Atlanta). Basically, two days per location. By dropping Charleston or Savannah we would be more relaxed. So, keep both towns? My thought was to just do a day trip from Savannah to Charleston (or, vice versa).

Any reason to go to Macon? Looking over the attractions, I’d be surprised if you need to spend more than a day there, if that. There’s apparently a Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, Harriet Tubman Museum, Allman Brothers Museum, and a couple historic houses. I’d sooner skip it and focus on Charleston and Savannah.

Gretchen Feb 26th, 2019 02:50 AM

Yes, drop Macon. I would NEVER drop Charleston, and for a week, not Savannah.

jmoyogi Feb 26th, 2019 06:31 AM

Unless there is a compelling reason for Macon, I'd drop that.

StantonHyde Feb 26th, 2019 06:09 PM

If you click on my user name, you will see my trip report for Charleston and Savannah. We did both in a week plus Beaufort. Substitute Macon for Beaufort and there you go!

ellenbw Feb 27th, 2019 01:50 PM

I went to Charleston and Savannah (with a stop in Beaufort on the way) with a group of friends last year. We spent 4 nights in Charleston and 3 in Savannah. I enjoyed Charleston more than Savannah and if I had it to do over, I would have added a night to Charleston and subtracted one from Savannah. We found the food in Charleston to be particularly amazing. We enjoyed a city walking tour with a group called Two Sisters.

sanchesnutt Mar 2nd, 2019 04:30 PM

Hi Modestobruce - Did you see my response to your earlier road trip post? I agree with the folks here: skip Macon. Savannah is charming and historic. Charleston is next level. Just got back from a day trip to Athens, GA today. So much more fun and interesting than Macon.

Gretchen Mar 3rd, 2019 02:37 AM

BUT don't add Athens either!!!! LOL

sanchesnutt Mar 3rd, 2019 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 16881494)
BUT don't add Athens either!!!! LOL

Lolz - But the guy is trying to experience the South. What's more Southern than an SEC college football town like Athens / University of Georgia? It's an easy detour off the beaten path and something the typical tourist would not do. Ate lunch yesterday at The Place: fried chicken and pimento cheese sandwich with collard greens.

modestobruce Mar 4th, 2019 12:20 AM

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply. Macon is having their Civil War Days and my wife wants to see that. That’s why Macon is in the trip. We decided to drop our stay in Charleston and tack on those days to extend Savannah. We will drive up to Charleston for a day.

Gretchen Mar 4th, 2019 02:39 AM

IMO you have dropped the wrong one. Think about Civil War and Fort Sumter. MUCH more to do in Charleston. Better food.

I decicded to look that up and it isn't even on their website as an "event". Charleston is FULL of anteellum houses,many plantations and is a happening city. But as they say, it is your trip.

https://www.maconga.org/things-to-do/history/civil-war/

sanchesnutt Mar 4th, 2019 04:44 PM

Sounds like y'all have your heart set on Macon. Enjoy! Give us a trip report to let us know how it goes.

However, I'm with Gretchen. I cannot tell you how sad I am for you that you are opting for Macon over Charleston. It's like traveling all the way to Rome to see the Sistine Chapel and being too pressed for time to look up.