Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston next weekend (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-next-weekend-109554/)

charlie Mar 2nd, 2001 08:08 PM

Charleston next weekend

My wife and I are visiting Charleston next weekend. I'ld like info. on great restraunts with good wine lists. Also, we're staying in the historic district and are not renting a car. We only have 3 days...I'ld like tips on what to do - we like walking, shopping, love dining, and can are "medium size" history buffs. When traveling, we prefer to avoid tacky turist traps - thanks!

Paige Mar 3rd, 2001 05:11 AM

Charlie, our favorite is Garibaldi's on Market Street. Order the crispy flounder - their specialty - you will not be disappointed. The wine list is exceptional and the service is attentive and knowledgable. <BR> <BR>I think you will enjoy just walking around the historic district and enjoying the old homes and lovely flowers that are blooming there now. Take a couple of house tours, especially those around the battery - Aiken/Rhett house - and walk through the open market. Don't miss King Street if you like to shop for antiques. Charleston is one of my favorite places and it is a place to just unwind, stroll around, and enjoy the beauty. I hope you have a great time. <BR>

dan woodlief Mar 3rd, 2001 12:22 PM

Charlie, I think you will love Charleston. I am a history nut myself. You can see a lot in three days. I would advise doing some of the house tours, going to Ft. Sumter (I wouldn't think it would cost too much to catch a cab to the docks), maybe going to the Yorktown carrier, and plantations as things to consider. I am not sure about tours to the plantations since you don't have a car. There are lots of tours that either take a look at the historic area as a whole or concentrate on specific topics. For more information on things to do and places to eat, check out my Charleston travelogue (4 day stay with car) at www.oneeyed.homestead.com.

Sandy Mar 3rd, 2001 01:07 PM

If the azaleas are blooming try to get out to Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, it's absolutely breathtaking.

Eddie Mar 3rd, 2001 03:32 PM

As a forever Charleston resident, just ask. Garibaldi's, Anson's, Slightly North of Broad, Magnolias', and Carolinas' are all good. I'm really not into the wine list so much, however. Take a carriage ride, or two, or three, they go to different locations. There are also walking tours, and self guided tours. The peninsula area is easy to walk, thirty minutes from the center to the perimeter. Check out The Market area, the Battery, the tour to Fort Sumter is worthwile. E-mail me if you like with specific questions.

charlie Mar 5th, 2001 06:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the information....This is my first time using this forum and it's great. This is the also the first time in a year my wife and I will be leaving our two year old... yee hah! Anyone know about a restraunt called "Hymans" or "82 Queens". Will we need reservations for these and other recommended restraunts this time of year? Finally, how about walking tours...I've heard the cival war tour is good as well as the ghost tour in the evening...any comments?

dan woodlief Mar 6th, 2001 08:50 AM

Hyman's has pretty good food. I haven't been this time of year, but my guess is that it is generally busy. If you have to wait, there is a bookstore nearby and other shops just right up the street while you wait for them to get to your name on the list.

Kathy Mar 6th, 2001 10:45 AM

In my opionion there are lots of places better than Hymans. I was very disappointed when we ate there. I am a native South Carolinian and go to Charleston often. We were there recently and ate at a restaurant that I had read about in Southern Living, "Hanks". It was very good and I highly recommend it. Have fun.

cara Mar 6th, 2001 01:21 PM

We spend a lot of time in Charleston each year and have come to love this beautiful city. Anson, Magnolia, The Blossom Cafe, The Planter's Inn are all great(there are many more). I would stay away from 82 Queen though, it used to be excellent, it has really gone downhill. We stopped there for lunch last summer and not only was the food really bad, the room was dirty. Poogan's Porch has also slipped. Hymen's is O.K. Don't miss my favorite store, Charleston Gardens on Queen St. Have a great trip

Curious Mar 6th, 2001 02:00 PM

My favorite restaurant for fine dining is the Peninsula Grill on the corner of Market St and Meeting. Hanks is great for seafood. Just walking around Charleston is a pleasure, lots of galleries, historic sights in walking distance.