Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston Must-dos (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-must-dos-335680/)

gbhost Jul 10th, 2003 12:00 PM

Charleston Must-dos

We are making a stop in Charleston for 2 1/2 days/3 nights in early August. We've already booked a room at the Kiawah Resort based upon readings here. We would like to relax at the beach for at least a day, so my question is, what are the must-sees and must dos in Charleston for a 30 something couple (she's pregnant) and our 2-yr-old son in the remaining day and a half? Best attractions? Best (family friendly) restaurants?

dolciani Jul 10th, 2003 12:06 PM

Your 2 year old would probably enjoy one of the carriage rides thru the town (that way you can also get a mini-tour without boring the child). Make the visitors center your first stop - pick up lots of brochures, watch a movie about Charleston and buy your carriage tickets there - they'll give you a nice map of the town

dln Jul 10th, 2003 12:23 PM

One of the most fun things we did in Charleston when our two children were young was to rent one of those multi-person bicycle thingies. I don't know what you call them exactly. They have four wheels, a canopy, and a basket out front. Our then 2 year old daughter rode in the basket, and the rest of us fought over whose turn it was to pedal! We had such a good little tour around the city. Other tourists even took pictures of us! That was a great Charleston memory.

Another thing we did was go to the waterfront park with the pineapple fountain in it. All the kids were splashing around in it, and we let ours join in the fun. The park also has plenty of porch swings, too.

DeborahB Jul 10th, 2003 01:54 PM

The aquarium is pretty nice. I imagine a 2 yr. old would like it. There are usually dolphins hanging out in front of it. Plan on 2 hours for it.

2bamafan Jul 10th, 2003 02:49 PM

I'm 32 yrs old and I just returned from a 3 day trip to Charleston. I absolutely love this place! I consider myself fairly well-traveled and I can clearly see why Conde Nast Traveler rated the city as one of the top 5 US cities to visit. There's so much history ... there's a long list of very good restaurants ... the Low Country is very scenic and the overall charm-factor is only rivaled by San Francisco, in my opinion.

During my stay, I visited Middleton Plantation and the Drayton Plantation. Both were very memorable. I also went over to Ft. Sumter ... very touristy but you must do it once because of the historical significance. Be sure to take a carriage tour ... quite informative and it'll save your legs. Two places with an outstanding view are (1) Top of the Vendue Inn in downtown Charleston, and (2) Upstairs outdoor bar at the Boathouse Restaurant on Isle de Palm. Both the view and the food at the Boathouse were simply incredible!!! This restaurant is family friendly, too. Also, A W Shucks is a decent lunch spot that's family friendly. Don't forget the aquarium. Your 2-yr-old son would love the aquarium. Hope you have a great visit.