Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Charleston hotels for a 5/4 stay downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/charleston-hotels-for-a-5-4-stay-downtown-1690463/)

fjs08 Sep 21st, 2020 04:31 PM

Charleston hotels for a 5/4 stay downtown

Never been to Charleston, but have heard so many great things.
Thinking of going for a 5day/4 night next month to take in the sights and flavors of downtown.
Looking for a hotel representative of the downtown Charleston scene.
Did a google search and there is a lot to select from. A bit overwhelming.
Would like to be in walking distance of many downtown restaurants.

Gretchen Sep 22nd, 2020 06:00 AM

Well, Two Meeting Street would be ideal. There are several new boutique hotels. What is your budget or is there one.

fjs08 Sep 22nd, 2020 09:43 AM

No real budget. Something VERY nice would be great!!

fjs08 Sep 22nd, 2020 09:45 AM

Wow, Two Meeting Street looks terrific!!

RoamsAround Sep 22nd, 2020 05:35 PM

We enjoyed our stay at Planterís Inn - upscale hotel on Market Street - ideal location in heart of city - convenient walking distance to restaurants, shops, and many points of interest.

lynni Sep 23rd, 2020 11:46 AM

We stayed at the Vendue Inn and the location was perfect! Everything was in walking distance and we never needed our car except for the one day we went to Fort Sumpter and over to Shem Creek for dinner. Walking in Charleston is a pleasure!

Gretchen Sep 24th, 2020 04:11 AM

The Vendue is really neat--we stayed there YEARS ago before its renovation.

Tonyr4 Sep 24th, 2020 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by fjs08 (Post 17158808)
Never been to Charleston, but have heard so many great things.
Thinking of going for a 5day/4 night next month to take in the sights and flavors of downtown.
Looking for a hotel representative of the downtown Charleston scene.
Did a google search and there is a lot to select from. A bit overwhelming.
Would like to be in walking distance of many downtown restaurants.

We visited Charleston for the first time this year its such a great city with tons of fantastic restaurants, your going to love it there. The best and newest hotel in that city now is the Hotel Bennett, it's centrally located right on King street and is absolutely gorgeous. I'd highly recommend staying there.

Gretchen Sep 25th, 2020 04:08 AM

The Bennett and The Dewberry are the new hotels I was trying to remember reading about in Garden and Gun. And indeed they do look beautiful. I had wondered where they were and looked them up on the link below. Charleston is a VERY walkable city but I think that area of the city around upper King Street is a bit away from where the real happening part of Charleston is--and we have stayed at the hotel (now an Embassy Suite) at the Charleston visitors Center. They do run free tram rides to the historic district from that parking lot.
I would opt for Vendue or Meeting Street or others right in the district for the ease of going back to your hotel to freshen up. You won't want to be driving around.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...!4d-79.9368514

jhk3rd Sep 25th, 2020 08:31 AM

We have stayed at the French Quarter Inn for our last few trips. It's a block off of the market, right downtown but a little quieter than being at the market or on East Bay where there's a lot of foot traffic late at night (or there was before Covid). It's a very nice boutique hotel with reasonable rates and great amenities.

CaliforniaLady Sep 25th, 2020 11:45 AM

We stayed at the Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel in 2017. It was in a really good location, and the rooms are large. It's an old, beautiful building. Plus, if you are a Bonvoy Elite, you get free breakfast.

I found Charleston way too commercial for my tastes. On the same trip, we visited Savannah, which I found much more to my liking. We did, however visit all three National Parks in the area (Fort Summit, For Moultrie, and Charles Pinckney), and they were definitely the highlight, since we are history buffs.

pumpkin Sep 26th, 2020 10:19 AM

There are many and as Charleston is a very walkable city, you will find many restaurants. Two Meeting Street is closed. I just inquired before finally settling on Harbour View Inn where we have stayed before.

joshuatwelch Sep 28th, 2020 12:16 PM

If you don't have a budget, I'd recommend Hotel Bennett, Charleston Place, and the Dewberry in that order. Hotel Bennett and The Dewberry are both newer hotels. Charleston Place was built in the 80s, but has recently undergone some renovations and the rooms are stunning.
Hotel Bennett is on King and you can walk up and down King St for shops and restaurants. Charleston Place takes up a city block at King/Meeting/Market Streets. The Market is closed for the most part due to COVID, so that walk won't quite be the same as it normally would. The Dewberry is at the corner of Calhoun and Meeting - it's only a block from Hotel Bennett but, for some reason, seems really far away to me.

Gretchen Sep 28th, 2020 12:33 PM

The Market being closed accoriding to the post above could be a REAL plus--it is my most unfavorite part of Charleston--pure kitsch, IMO. And Charleston Place is a wonderful property.

Tonyr4 Sep 28th, 2020 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by joshuatwelch (Post 17161189)
If you don't have a budget, I'd recommend Hotel Bennett, Charleston Place, and the Dewberry in that order. Hotel Bennett and The Dewberry are both newer hotels. Charleston Place was built in the 80s, but has recently undergone some renovations and the rooms are stunning.
Hotel Bennett is on King and you can walk up and down King St for shops and restaurants. Charleston Place takes up a city block at King/Meeting/Market Streets. The Market is closed for the most part due to COVID, so that walk won't quite be the same as it normally would. The Dewberry is at the corner of Calhoun and Meeting - it's only a block from Hotel Bennett but, for some reason, seems really far away to me.

We stayed in one of the suites when we were at the Hotel Bennett, the room was spectacular. As I said earlier, I'd highly recommend this hotel. Someone mentioned that it is was far away from everything I'm not sure how that claim could be made as there are tons shops and restaurants all around this hotel.

fjs08 Sep 29th, 2020 04:45 AM

I guess there is no way to "like" all the terrific replies here, but I do want to express my gratitude for the time and effort of the responses.
I do appreciate them.
Terrific too, there isn't any,... that hotel sucks, go to the one I like...stuff here.

Gretchen Sep 30th, 2020 04:09 AM

I made the comment about being ''away". It is indeed in the midst of many fun and good places on Upper King part of historic district.