Charleston for -Ladies Trip

May 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Charleston for -Ladies Trip

Hey Fodors Friends,
I know there have been many posts on Charleston, SC, BUT I am planning a trip there for June 7-13. Just three ladies...we already have accomodations. Looking for restaurants, best Plantation to visit, Harbour Cruise, Carriage Rides, theatres, etc...Any must-sees, must-do's...
May 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM

The Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto festivals in Charleston run until June 8. You might check the websites to see if there's anything that intrigues you and your friends. There is a truly amazing selection of all types of performing arts each year. If you're arriving early enough for dinner on the 7th, making reservations now might not be a bad idea.
May 27th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Was in Charleston April 2008 for 4 nights. I visited two plantations by tour bus (no car) and loved both -- Boone Hall and Magnolia.

I ate at Jestine's, Hanks and SNOB (Slightly North of Broad). Enjoyed all three and had THE BEST crabcakes I have ever had at Hanks.

Enjoy!
May 27th, 2008, 07:41 AM

We did GF trip (3 also) last Nov.
We enjoyed the Market area; took a Bulldog ghost tour (fun but tame); toured Magnolia Plantation (I previously did Boone Hall--enjoyed both); took a mimi-bus tour (covers more area); and then a carriage ride through historic district. We used Palmetto Carriage and opted for the private open-air carriage at a set time ($35 each)and loved it. Didn't have time for the harbor tour but my family previously took the harbor tour/Fort Sumter tour and it's nice, especially if you like history.

We ate at Sticky Fingers (good BBQ), lunched at Poogan's Porch (great shrimp-n-grits) and Charleston Crab House (good fried green tomatoes); California Dreamin' (OK salads, lousy service). We chose 82 Queen for our nice night out (big mistake)--totally arrogant,rude front of the house. With reservations, we waited nearly an hour because we dared to ask "when." Food was OK, nothing special. Choose elsewhere.

Oh, another fun thing was afternoon tea at the Charleston Place Hotel. I think it's the only place still offering high tea other than some B&Bs for their guests. The variety was impressive and quite nice.

Have fun and enjoy beautiful Charleston--we certainly did!

May 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Hey lss1,
Where did you book for lodging?
We are going next April....7 ladies.
Please advise on places to stay and good restaurants.....Thanks
May 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Cringo, did you get both plantations onthe same tour? which company did you use? I couldn't find any tours which offered more than one plantation at a time, so I was curious. thanks!
May 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for some great advice! SO far we have Poogan's as a definite...Charleston Grill as pretty definite. We know we want to visit a plantation, take a carriage tour, and a harbour cruise (but we haven't decided on the specifics).
Please keep the suggestions coming!!

dchoate: A friend gave us the use of a condo for a few days; thus the lodging. Sorry I couldn't be of help; this is my first time to Charleston and luckily this time I didn't have to decide on the accomodations.
May 29th, 2008, 03:44 PM

I didn't like Jestine's at all. I forget what I ordered (Pot roast maybe), but it was very fatty.

OTOH, I did like Hyman's Seafood, not far away from Jestine's.

May 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

We do have Hyman's as a strong possibility. Any others with experience at Hymans? Are reservations needed/ required?
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Brief Trip Report

We just returned from our Charleston Vacation...
Restaraunts we enjoyed:
Poogan's Porch
Fleet's Landing (on the water...very good seafood)
Hymans
and for a nice evening....
Jasmine's Porch (Kiawah Island) at the Sanctuary

Places we enjoyed...
The Sanctuary (500. + per night)...we enjoyed having dinner there and viewing the splendid opulence (we did not stay overnight)
Food was reasonable (34. for Filet Mignon which was excellent) and free valet parking

Magnolia Plantation - We took the full day pass which included House Tour, Boat Tour, and Bus/Tram + all the walking you wanted...Beautiful gardens

The Market
The Battery

Sullivan's Island- we just drove there to see the island and the lighthouse

Since the temp. was 90-100 on many of our days...We had to stay cool...
We skipped the carriage ride and took a bus tour (AC) of the city which included narration and a visit into one of the homes

Spent two days visiting beaches...
Folly Island...nice beach...a little life...lovely pier and pier parking

Isle of Palms...slightly more commercialized...still very nice, clean beach...
Ate at Coconut Joe's...excellent food and drinks...indoor/outdoor seating...We sat outside...oceanfront...lovely "beach burger joint" Service, food, view...excellent...Cheeseburger/Fries

For the Harbor Tour...we really moved a bit out of character (for Charleston and for us We took the new thriller boatride...Nice speed boat...rock music, and narration...45 minutes and you see two light houses...and have an entertaining ride on a bit of the wild side...but FUN

We started our visit at the Visitor's Center where we received very good advice...Also walked down King Street and visit the Market Square on Saturday...saw some lovely artwork from the Spoleto Festival...

We loved Charleston...we happened to be there during a heatwave, so we took it a bit easy.