Charleston best small hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a 50ish couple looking to spend 4 nights in Charleston first week in November. We seek a small hotel, charm and location are essential, but we have never been to the city so location remains a mystery. We assume the historic district. We have looked at Harborview Inn, Vendue Inn and a few B&Bs. Tripadvisor has many positive reviews, but the occasional negative response leaves us wondering. Please provide guidance. The hotels mentioned are within our price range. BTW a few dinner recomendations would also be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Doubletree Suites is in the dead center of downtown. It doesn't seem like a chain hotel. If you are spending four days you may appreciate having two rooms and a fridge for drinks.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM

While I like the Doubletree a lot, I don't know that it fits the OP's requirements of being small & charming.

I'd suggest the Andrew Pinckney Inn, which is about 2 blocks away from the Doubletree. Disclaimer: I haven't stayed there, but did check out their lobby. If you google their website, they often have special deals available.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Judy, I too have to go on advice from others-I never stay in a hotel here . People enjoy the Harborview a lot. It overlooks the Charleston Harbor, which is a nice perk. Meeting Street is lovely, as is French Quarter Inn.

As for restaurant recs, it would help to know what you like. Lowcountry cuisine is wonderful. If you want a traditional LC meal, try the she-crab soup and fried green tomatoes at 82 Queen. If you want something trendier try SNOB or High Cotton. If you want down-home try Hominy Grill or Jestine's. No matter where you go be sure to try shrimp and grits.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM

We stayed at FQI and found the basic room to be just ok, so for something more spacious or with a nicer view, maybe a suite. Common areas and service were lovely. Great room with fireplace for wine/cheese was very nice in early December. The restaurant on the premises, Tristan, was excellent. FQI is in the center of everything, right off the market. Have heard great things about Harborview Inn, but haven't stayed there. Attended a meeting at the Francis Marion which seemed ok, very busy atmosphere. Stayed at Charleston Place Hotel when it was The Omni, eons ago. Also stayed at the now defunct Meeting Street Suites; it was very nice at the time. I've also heard good things about the Wentworth Mansion, but not sure about location. Maybe someone else is.