Charleston bakery and shopping help

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston bakery and shopping help

My original account was suspended shortly after starting a similar thread early this morning. I have not heard from moderators on either the Help board or via email.

Anyway....I am looking for a bakery in Charleston/Daniel Island/Mt. Pleasant that is good for birthday cakes or cupcakes. If they delivered, that would be great, but it is not a deal breaker.

Also interested in finding out about good shopping malls where I may be able to get a gift card from.

Hopefully this post will survive. And hopefully I will be back soon as my original screen name.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 10:25 AM

You probably posted the same thread too fast on 2 boards, that get's you caught in spam web. They will resurrect your account, don't worry.
Lots of good feedback on this one:

http://www.dinewithsal.com/village
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Yep...I am sure that is what happened. Ugh...lol.

Thanks!

I don't feel like myself with this screenname.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 10:30 AM

http://www.freshcupcakes.com/
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I saw that place too! It looks really good (and they deliver!).
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 01:13 PM

Look at Kudzu in Mt Pleasant. REALLY wonderful stuff. Don't know about delivery-it was near my old homestead.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suewoo....we can make our SIL pick it up if need be!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:56 PM

There are 4 really good bakeries downtown within a couple of blocks of each other around Cannon, Spring, and St Phillip streets. For a birthday cake, The "foodie" favorite is probably Sugar: http://www.sugarbake.com/menu.html

Cupcake on upper King (that DebitNM mentioned) is great too- not quite as elegant as Sugar and the flavors rotate by the day. Keylime is the best imho.

If it was me- I would use Cupcake for a child's party and Sugar for a girlfriend/couples party but either way you can't go wrong.

I am not sure what you mean by "good shopping malls" and what type of store you were thinking of for a gift card. Charleston has two basic malls- CItadel Mall (West Ashley) and Northwood Mall (North Charleston). It has an Outlet mall near the airport (Tanger Outlet) and a slightly higher-end outdoor Mall in Mt Pleasant called Town Center. The best "mall" though, in my opinion, for a gift, is lower King Street downtown. There is a great mix of national chains and local businesses within 3 or 4 blocks.

By the way, I understand the best Red Velvet Cake in town is at Kudzu. Also there is a new store behind Kudzu called Southern Season that also has a bakery inside with great cakes.

Lots of great choices!!
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 04:44 AM

It's not for a party as such, but for my SD, who is turning 29. She is not a foodie at all and has a fondness for cupcakes.

She likes preppy clothes....Banana Republic, J.Crew, Vineyard Vines (I cannot believe there is not a VV in Charleston as it seems they were made for each other..lol), Ralph Lauren, Izod and Lilly Pulitzer. The reason for the mall gc is we want her to be able to use it at a number of shops. Or we may just get her an iPad and be done with it.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Janet, look at Copper Penny and Gwynn's of Mt Pleasant for preppy clothes. BR and J Crew are at Mt Pleasant Towne Center. I'm not nuts about shopping, I liked the Towne Center better than the malls just for the location. Be sure to shop on King St. The Apple Store is there. If you give her an iPad she will love you forever!
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM

I won't be shopping there (at least anytime soon....can't wait to go and shop on King Street one day..hehe), our plan is to give her a gift card (if we don't get the iPad, which is what I am leaning towards but also need to check with SIL to make sure he isn't getting her one).

We won't be seeing her on her birthday (we were going to visit but she has other plans so it's not working out), so this is plan B. I will check out the Mt. Pleasant Towne Center website.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:24 AM

The Tangier Outlet is a possibility as well. She likes going to the outlet mall in Williamsburg.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:40 AM

I went to that Tanger Mall a couple of times. Maybe it's just my own perspective (I remember when there were actual factories and the "factory outlets" were actual outlets), but it just didn't seem that great, nor were there any deals.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Okie dokie...scratching that off. I'm going to advocate for the iPad with DH.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 02:39 PM

There actually is a vinyard vines in Charleston- it is called Dumas and is on lower King. It is locally owned, not a company store, but it has the largest selection of vinyard vines outside a company store than any other store in the country. It is a destination in it of itself and is the definition of preppy clothes of all sorts. There is also a Banana Republic and a J Crew on lower King as well as a Lucky company store and one of the best clothing shops for women, in my opinion, that is at the corner of King and Broad, called Berlin's. A really fun ultimate preppy company store on King Street is Sperry. There are tons of options and just walking down King Street is one of the best things to do in Charleston!