Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston at Thanksgiving, weather & Hotel tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 05:57 AM
Cheri

We are thinking of going to Charleston right after Thanksgiving and haven't decided to go with our children (9 and 12) or without. Will they be bored sightseeing our is there enough for 2 boys to do for 3 days without being bored? Also, we are considering the Mills house, Vendue Inn or Days Inn Hisoric (if we bring kids) Can anyone comment on these choices? We may also stay one night at Wild Dunes. I was also hoping someone could tell me what to expect weather wise? What do you think the temps will be then? Thanks so much for your help!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 01:15 PM
Cheri

Just bumping this up for a respomse!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 01:19 PM
rainey

All of the hotels you mentioned are good. It just depends on how much you want to spend for lodging and if you want to be in the historic district or farther out of the downtown section. The weather in Charleston at Thanksgiving is unpredictable. Most Thanksgivings are mild, bring a coat just in case!

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:56 PM
linda

I'm from Charleston and spend every thanksgiving there. Most years we cook our turkey on the grill. Last year we has 30 degree tempertures. Very, very wet and cold.

I'd question staying out on any of the islands in November. If it's warm, go out to Kiawah or Isle of Palms for a walk or bike ride on the beach. but otherwise, it is very, very, very quiet. Staying downtown is really fun for any age. Check the Embassy Suites for a family stay.

Old May 24th, 2001, 06:19 PM
steve

I've stayed at the Vendue Inn several times and have always been pleased. The rooms are nice and the staff is pleasant. One of the suites there would work if you take the kids. It's near the waterfront park which is great place to stroll. Haven't stayed at the Mills House, but have had drinks there in the courtyard. It's an attractive hotel. The Days Inn has a good location and is a good value.

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Sharon

Temperature that time of year is probably around 60. A lot of years we're still wearing shorts at Christmas..just depends. All three of the hotels you mentioned are right downtown. I personally love the Mills House and it's probably the most expensive. Both Vendue Inn and Mills House are very old, historic, but beautiful places. Everything is within walking distance from all three of these hotels--carriage rides, the market, restaurants, new aquarium, imax theater. Wild Dunes is on the beach about 15 miles outside of downtown and has a covered pool for the kids and the beach is beautiful. There's a recreation center on the Isle of Palms (where Wild Dunes is located) that has basketball courts, etc. for the kids. I don't have children, so it would be hard for me to comment on your children's possibility of being bored. Charleston is full of small museums and theaters and it seems we've always got a festival of some sort going on. Check www.charleston.org and you can see what's going on that time of year.

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Carol

As Sharon just stated above, temps are usually very nice @ Thanksgiving time. In Wild Dunes we have our pre-Christmas parade on Thanks. Day and usually dress with just sweatshirts (and pants!!! lol) for the morning. Have been here for 6 years now and only one abnormally cool season.

Don't think your kids, being the ages that they are, will be bored. Have had nieces and nephews of their age to visit and there's been plenty to keep them occupied and interested.

Check out the weather site on the Internet: www.wunderground.com

It will give you an historical review of that date's temps.

All of the inns that you mentioned downtown would be great places to stay.

Enjoy..

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Ellen

I stayed at the Days Inn Historic district location and was satisfied. It was more or less a typical Days Inn but with a superb location and free parking. It is not upscale or like a B&B in atmosphere but certainly is appropriate for reasonable accomodations.
Ellen