Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Chanyon de Chelly guided tour yes/no? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/chanyon-de-chelly-guided-tour-yes-no-1088705/)

amla Mar 4th, 2016 09:31 AM

Chanyon de Chelly guided tour yes/no?

Hello! Our family of 5 (two parents, two kids ages 15 add 11) are visiting Arizona for spring break later this month. At one point, we will be driving from Page to Chinle, spending the night at Thunderbird Lodge (formerly Sacred Canyon), and then driving all the way to Tucson (to visit mother-in-law for Easter/non-negotiable).

Wondering if we will be able to see enough of Canyon de Chelly by doing the two rim drives ourselves and hiking the White House trail, or if it's really recommended to take one of the guided tours into the canyon?

Any advice on where to stop between Chinle and Tucson most welcome as well!

emalloy Mar 4th, 2016 09:48 AM

I really enjoyed the tour with a Navajo guide (the only way you can go into CdC other than the one hike). We were four adults who were interested in the culture and history of the area.

That said, unless your kids know about or are willing to learn about those things I'm not sure they would get as much from the tour than they would by taking a ranger led hike at Mesa Verde or even climbing around the ruins in Walnut Canyon (a little east of Flagstaff).

amla Mar 4th, 2016 09:52 AM

Thanks, emalloy! The kids are great about listening/learning--although they will have done a lot of that by the time we get to CdC; I don't want to push our luck.

Mesa Verde would have been great, but it's mostly not open in late March--part of the reason we added CdC to our itinerary instead. I'm still disappointed to miss it.

Thanks also for mentioning Walnut Canyon--we have heard good things and plan to stop there on our way up to the Grand Canyon from Sedona.

happytrailstoyou Mar 4th, 2016 10:58 AM

We gave been to Canyon de Chelly twice. The first time we didn't have a guide. The second time we did. The second visit was much better. We stayed at the Holiday Inn and booked our tour in the gift shop thee.

HTtY

MikePinTucson Mar 4th, 2016 01:11 PM

Definitely take a tour. We used Antelope House Tours. Our guide was Adam Tellers (the owner) father, who was born in, and still lives in, the canyon. http://www.canyondechelly.net/tours_4wd.html

Bobmrg Mar 4th, 2016 01:55 PM

Another vote for having a guide.

starrs Mar 4th, 2016 01:59 PM

Definitely a guide for CdeC.
We stayed at the Best Western and they arranged for a guide when we checked in. GREAT guide and great experience.

amla Mar 4th, 2016 02:32 PM

Wow, it seems as if getting a guide is the way to go! I had reserved one with the folks at Beauty Way Jeep Tours for first thing in the morning of the day we drive to Tucson, but I might cancel it and see if we get there early enough the day before to do one in the afternoon. It seems as if the availability is generally goo (i.e., we don't have to book in advance?).

Now I just have to figure out that long drive to Tucson! We should be able to stop at the Hubbell Trading Post and then drive through the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert?

amla Mar 4th, 2016 02:37 PM

Ack, I just noticed that I called us a family of five. There are actually four of us, although my mother-in-law is joining us for part of the trip, which is what I must have been thinking when I wrote the original post. We are a family of four. I can count :)

happytrailstoyou Mar 4th, 2016 04:28 PM

There is a very interesting house at Hubbell Trading Post for which guided tours are offered. HTtY

amla Mar 5th, 2016 04:16 AM

Thanks, HTtY! Good to know it's worth a stop. Can you tell I'm worried about that long drive??

starrs Mar 5th, 2016 05:40 AM

"Can you tell I'm worried about that long drive"

For me, it's the opposite. There's nothing I enjoy more than just driving around that corner of the world. Definitely stop at Hubbell Trading Post. There are other places to stop along the way. Do you want suggestions of favorites? How many days do you have to make the drive? Are you planning to stop in Sedona? If not, you should!

HappyTrvlr Mar 5th, 2016 10:20 AM

You should take a Najajo led tour into the canyon. Adam Teller is one of the best guides.

MikePinTucson Mar 5th, 2016 11:40 AM

The fastest, and most scenic, drive from Chinle to Tucson is down 77 to Holbrook, then Show Low, and Globe, then into Tucson. Trying to go through Sedona adds another hour, just in driving time, making the trip around 7 hours, even without stopping at Hubbell. And Sedona really deserves days, not just a drive through.

RVvagabond Mar 5th, 2016 07:49 PM

1> Yes, you must be IN the Canyon to Appreciate it
Read about Massacre Cave history to understand this canyon's history.
google: massacre cave canyon de chelly
2> Rim Drive - Need binoculars to appreciate the scenery. Minimum is 10X
3> Hike down to White is moderately difficult - In my reference. Down simple; up hard. Take several liters of water.
3> Hubble - Mandatory to tour Hubble's house. All interior is as it was when the family left. They sell authentic Navajo Rugs - no cheap replicas.
http://www.nps.gov/hutr/index.htm

Reservation at motels at Canyon are mandatory.

Vaga

amla Mar 6th, 2016 06:19 PM

This is all great advice; thank you! Will bring binocs. Yes, we are heading to straight to Sedona from the Phoenix airport and spending the night there. Wish we had two nights, but we couldn't make reservations at GC work (we are spending next two nights there). Would love to hear your favorites, starrs (and everyone!) and thanks so much for the route recommendation, MikePinTucson!